Anyone recommend a decent, but cheap helmet please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zanelad

Guru
Being of a certain age, free bus pass not that far away, I've grown up not using a helmet. Mrs Z has been pestering me of late to get one. I blame all those injured cyclists on 24 hours in A&E.

I don't want to spend a fortune in case I don't get on with it and revert to my old habits.

Helmet debate aside, please, can anyone recommend a cheap, but not naff helmet.

Another question if I may, what's the benefit of the dearer ones over the cheaper. As I understand it, they should all meet the same standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just go to Halfords, they do decent enough plastic hats at a fair price.
There's hardly any benefits as to one being better then the other except what may fit someone else's head may not fit yours. So best try a few rather then go by recommendations.

vickster

Legendary Member
Go try some on in local shops. Buy the one that fits best. Price should be a lesser consideration behind fit and comfort

More expensive = lighter and more vents so potentially cooler. No additional protection. Look for as many safety certifications as poss beyond the basic EN one (which may be the case with the cheapest)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
e, can anyone recommend a cheap, but not naff helmet.
:giggle:

Naffness - like beauty - is in the eye of the beholder, but you could consider a ski/snowboard helmet.

Lots online, here's a cheaper one:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/h300-ad..._i_en_j_158285416136_s__e__h_1006948_ii__vi__

NOTE: these are salient points to the OP's question... not a debate on helmets

To sell a helmet in the UK it is required to pass a very basic test (EN1078) which states what it has "expected" to be able to stand up to

CPSC and others are tougher and Snell the toughest of all

In theory at least these helmets would offer more protection than a simple EN1078

There is also an argument that with less sharp points and edges a rounder smoother helmet is safer than some modern road helmets

As for cost, you are paying for the development and the novelty. This year's £160 flagship will be selling for half that in two years time

You can also save by buying a less popular colour or team

The important things are that it fits, is comfortable and adjusted properly (failure on these three can actually increase the likelihood of injury!) as otherwise you will find excuses not to wear it or simply find it causes discomfort

Try out locally and ensure it is something that you will wear

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Being of a certain age, free bus pass not that far away, I've grown up not using a helmet. Mrs Z has been pestering me of late to get one. I blame all those injured cyclists on 24 hours in A&E.

I don't want to spend a fortune in case I don't get on with it and revert to my old habits.

Helmet debate aside, please, can anyone recommend a cheap, but not naff helmet.

Another question if I may, what's the benefit of the dearer ones over the cheaper. As I understand it, they should all meet the same standard.
Good lids exist

Cheap lids exist

Finding both in one is a stretch...personally if you are doing it to keep someone else happy, go for cheap and comfy. Forget good.

Good only equates to vents and weight anyway.

I have a couple of expensive lids (£100-190) that I forget I am wearing because they are so light but even with all the vents they still get warm in the summer.

For comfort, take a look at the shape of your head, wide fittings are not universal and certain manufacturers (kask-giro-RH+) are naturally wider on the head. Whilst others can be really tight in the temples and agony to wear.

OP
OP
Z

Zanelad

Guru
Thanks to those that replied. I popped into Halford's this morning and bought a Boardman Comp in blue. Fitted nicely and at £45 wasn't too hard on the wallet.

I did feel a prawn in it and Mrs Z laughing when I tried it on at home didn't help. Perhaps I should have worn something else apart from just the helmet:laugh:

Trying them out certainly helped, some did rub on the temples.

Thanks to those that replied. I popped into Halford's this morning and bought a Boardman Comp in blue. Fitted nicely and at £45 wasn't too hard on the wallet.

I did feel a prawn in it and Mrs Z laughing when I tried it on at home didn't help. Perhaps I should have worn something else apart from just the helmet:laugh:

My emphasis...

5619133432_02aebe8d73_b.jpg

You'll soon get used to the look and forget about any feelings of looking a prawn. Happy riding.

Top Bottom