Anyone ridden more than one of the current Shimano groupsets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Ignoring the number of sprockets, how do they honestly compare? I've heard people say that 105 is the sweet spot for value, but also some people who can barely tell the difference in shifting between Ultegra and Tiagra, and some who wouldn't touch Claris with a barge pole. A 105 groupset is £550 compared to about £330 for Tiagra, what do you get for that extra £220 besides an extra sprocket on the rear?

I've heard the brakes are maybe more of a differentiator between them than the shifting, but curious what people's experiences are.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The only negative of the current 4700 Tiagra is that it isnt compatible with any other "old" shimano 10spd stuff, as the pull ratios are same as the higher 11spd groupsets. but if you arent swapping stuff around betyween bikes that doesnt really matter.

Other than that you just pay a bit more as you go up, lose a tiny bit of weight and pay more for a replacement cassette. Clearly you have bigger gaps between gears with 8spd etc for same range. There is slightly lighter action on Tiagra upwards than Sora and claris.

I'm not sure where front lever trim setting cuts in, but certainly Tiagra now has it, where it used to be preserve of Ultegra & DA way way back when, that is useful and maybe Claris and Sora don't have it? someone will know or you can research.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I had hydraulic disc 105 and never really liked it, the brakes were ok but not great and shifting was clunky and didn't change gear cleanly. After that bike was written off in an RTA I got the same bike with Ultegra and it is almost a different bike. Brakes are amazing and gear shifts are instant and sharp. I think that may have been the fault of the '105' brifter as it wasn't actually a group component?

I also have a bike with current Tiagra cable discs and the shifting is as good as the Ultegra so go figure...

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
We run three bikes with Dura-Ace 11 speed, a few with Ultegra 11 speed, plus a couple with 10 speed 105 / Tiagra.

There's a definite difference between Tiagra and Ultegra/Dura-Ace but 105 is fine for most things. As @T4tomo has put you lose weight and gain shifting ease / braking power as the range (and price) goes up.

For me Ultegra is the top-end of performance as I don't road race, son no. 2 races both Dura-Ace and Ultegra-equipped bikes. His new Ridley has the Ultegra hydraulic discs, with Dura-Ace rotors, and he's had to switch to 140mm as he's found the stopping power too good. But then he's a sub-60kg twig.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
I have ridded the following (comments alongside them)

Claris - clunky and poor breaking
10 speed 105 (rim) - did the job fine but when compared to 11 speed was clunky
11 speed 105 (rim) - yes, a sweet spot. Better than the 10 speed equivalent
11 speed mechanical Ultegra (rim) - shifting similar, braking better
11 speed mechanical Ultegra (disc) - far better braking
11 speed Ultegra Di2 (disc) - different gravy

Also got SRAM Rival - horrible shifting but braking decent - will change this to Shimano at some point!!!

rivers

How far can I go?
In recent years, I have had Tiagra 4700 (with hydraulic discs), 105 5800 (rim brake), 105 R7000 (hydraulic discs), and Ultegra 6800 (rim brakes). When the bike with tiagra got knicked, I wanted to replace it like for like. It shifted well, was cheaper to replace bits than on my 105 5800 (I have yet to replace anything on my TT bike which is ultegra, but when i need a new cassette, it won't be an ultegra cassette). The only reason I ended up with a bike with R7000 was that it was all I could get quickly to replace the stolen bike with Tiagra (it was on the shop floor in my size ready to go). All of my bikes are well maintained, and I can't tell the difference in the shifting between any of the groupsets. But definitely go hydraulic discs no matter the groupset.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I have a bike with Dura ace hubs, 105 brakes, mechs and chainset and Sora 9sp shifters (it did have 105) Oh the arguments!
Ye probably 105 is the highest I would go. I only have Dura ace hubs because when I had the wheels built by Harry Perry in Woolwich (very good) he couldn't get 105's so gave me the D.A hubs for the same money ^_^

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
You’ve got it all wrong you want XT and deore with TA chain rings…
Yes, I prefer Deore XT derailleurs for a touring cycle type setup.

si_c

Guru
R7000 works better than 6800 ultegra IME, slightly better shifting feel.

Tiagra 4700 is good, but slightly heavier action than 105 but short of using them back to back you would never notice. I actually think that Sora R3000 is great value, I used it on my old commuter for about 20k miles, worked really well, as good as Tiagra, and cheaper to keep running.

Not used DI2 or Dura ace anything.

I have a DA 9100 bike and I had Ultegra 8100 on its forerunner I was going to transfer it to the newer bike but I got offered the DA but I can't say there was anything significant between them. Actually other than neater cables I doubt either were significantly better that my old 105 of different era. They are significantly better for braking and shifting than my old Tiagra but you'd hope it is better now too with trickle down technology; the thumb shifters that you could only use on the hoods are gone at least.

Johnno260

Veteran
I had hydraulic disc 105 and never really liked it, the brakes were ok but not great and shifting was clunky and didn't change gear cleanly. After that bike was written off in an RTA I got the same bike with Ultegra and it is almost a different bike. Brakes are amazing and gear shifts are instant and sharp. I think that may have been the fault of the '105' brifter as it wasn't actually a group component?

I also have a bike with current Tiagra cable discs and the shifting is as good as the Ultegra so go figure...

I have had the exact opposite with 105 R7000 I found the rim shifters aren’t as crisp as the hydro’s.

Maybe Shimano have some quality issues?

Venod

Eh up
I am a big 105 fan, I have run Ultegra and it's very good but can't tell the difference from 105. At the moment I have 105 11speed 105 10 speed and 10 speed Tiagra Brifters with GRX gears and chainset, the Tiagra Brifters are excellent.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
As someone who has spent a fair amount of money on bikes and has never owned a groupset, I empathise with sentiment, if not the specific components mentioned.
I think they were implying that mountain bike components were better than road bike components, which everyone showed great restraint in not rising to. :smile:

Top Bottom