Anyone ridden the northern part of Great Glen Way?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Off on my End to End in a coupla weeks.
Anyone ridden the bit o' the Great Glen Way twixt Fort Augustus & Inverness?
Will my fully laden (with camping gear) Thorn Sherpa cope with it. She's shod with 2" wide Marathon Mondials and low geared, but will be quite heavy.
My default route from Fort Augustus is up the east side of Loch Ness having followed the GGW from Fort William, but I'm curious about the rest of the GGW.
What do you reckon?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've not ridden it but I'd be discouraged by this:

Please note that the Great Glen Cycle Route was dismantled in 2006 and no longer exists.

Currently, cyclists use the original Great Glen Way itself with great success. However, the surface is not really suitable for road tyres. We have cyclists regularly completing the route on mountain bike or robust hybrid. It is fairly direct, and south of Fort Augustus there are few hills. Most cyclists take between 2 and 3 days to travel the entire distance from Fort William to Inverness. The route itself is clearly waymarked and commercial maps are suitable for cyclists as well as walkers.

We advise that you ensure you have the appropriate level of fitness and also carry appropriate and adequate equipment for your trip, as the weather is very changeable. We also strongly recommend you take a mobile communication device, although signal cannot be guaranteed at all points on the route.

A major cycling group is currently investigating options for road biking within the Glen. If you are on road bikes, the A82 is the only alternative for the section of the Glen you are planning on travelling at present. However we would be very cautious about recommending this as a cycling route as it is a major trunk road connecting Fort William and Inverness. Traffic regularly includes heavy timber lorries and other freight, caravans and other tourist traffic and, especially along Loch Ness-side, the road is very windy in places, making passing bicycles difficult for motorists.

I used the A82 and despite words from others to the contrary I found the ride stress free.

Last week I cycled along the Scarborough to Whitby 'cinder track' on the old railway track bed on a fully laden tourer. It was unmetalled for most of its length and the ride was energy sapping with the softish surface adding to the rolling resistance.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

I've not ridden it but I'd be discouraged by this:

I used the A82 and despite words from others to the contrary I found the ride stress free.

Last week I cycled along the Scarborough to Whitby 'cinder track' on the old railway track bed on a fully laden tourer. It was unmetalled for most of its length and the ride was energy sapping with the softish surface adding to the rolling resistance.
Yes, I read that too Vernon. Just looking for some recent experience. Interesting that you found the A82 ok though. I'm doing my best to avoid it (Arran, Kintyre, Mull, Ardnamurchan) though my route WILL be beautiful, I'm sure.

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Also, interestingly, re your edit, I rode the Cinder track a few weeks back on the Thorn - Whitby to Robin Hood's Bay & back. 'Twas ok but bike wasn't carrying luggage.

Last edited:
Some of the tracks are more technical off road routes than a touring route, however it is doable.

We did this a couple of years ago on Thorn Ravens, Me carrying most of the luggage to slow me down

DSCF0087.jpg

P6216321.jpg

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

Some of the tracks are more technical off road routes than a touring route, however it is doable.

We did this a couple of years ago on Thorn Ravens, Me carrying most of the luggage to slow me down

DSCF0087.jpg

P6216321.jpg
Right, now that IS interesting. If you did it with a trailer it MUST be do-able on the Sherpa .
Thanks for that.

Right, now that IS interesting. If you did it with a trailer it MUST be do-able on the Sherpa .
Thanks for that.

It is a mixed bag, we were luck with the weather, and there were hard dried surfaces, but if it was wet then it would have been diffferent

It is a fun ride with lots of little hidden secrets

For instance this pub:

0727%20Caledonian%20Canal%2010th%20To%2014th%20April%202010-L.jpg

Which is in fact afloat

4649614190_08506a1121_b.jpg

OP
OP
Geoff Crowther

Geoff Crowther

It is a mixed bag, we were luck with the weather, and there were hard dried surfaces, but if it was wet then it would have been diffferent

It is a fun ride with lots of little hidden secrets

For instance this pub:

0727%20Caledonian%20Canal%2010th%20To%2014th%20April%202010-L.jpg

Which is in fact afloat

4649614190_08506a1121_b.jpg
I'll bear your comments re wet/dry in mind ... also that pub, though I find booze and cycling a poor mix. Mind you, there are lots of places I could camp along the GGW :cheers:

Top Bottom