Anyone tried to get a Sick Note from GP lately?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Anyone remember the days when we got 20 days paid holiday and 20 days paid sickness, and we made damn sure we took all 40 of them :rolleyes:
Forty years ago when I worked for a well known national broadcaster we were encouraged to book our sick leave in advance so as to avoid clashes with the rest of the department.

Drago

Legendary Member
Getting curious here with the 28 day rule. What happens if an employee abuses the rule? What recourse does the employer have?
I would have though that anyone fraudulently pulling a fast one would be out the door with a gross misconduct letter in their pocket, although proving it might be tricky in most cases.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I would have though that anyone fraudulently pulling a fast one would be out the door with a gross misconduct letter in their pocket, although proving it might be tricky in most cases.
There was a colleague, at the start of the pandemic, who had to self isolate along with his whole family, was spotted out in town with his mates by the manager, who promptly telephoned said colleague... the conversation apparently went "Hi, it's your manager, how you getting on?" ... "Not bad, still isolating." ... "At home?" ... "Yeah." ... "Well I've just walked past you in town with your mates so i know you're lying." We didn't see that colleague again.

Forty years ago when I worked for a well known national broadcaster we were encouraged to book our sick leave in advance so as to avoid clashes with the rest of the department.
I do recall at that time it was common for people to consider the sick leave entitlement as part of annual leave and those not in management would use up all the sick leave entitlement for the year. And it was common to get a sick leave from the doctor.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I do recall at that time it was common for people to consider the sick leave entitlement as part of annual leave and those not in management would use up all the sick leave entitlement for the year. And it was common to get a sick leave from the doctor.
even early this century... holidays were for planned breaks, sick days were for impromptu days off when you just CBA :whistle:

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

I understand that this is only a temporary change where employees go off sick on of after 10th December, up to and including 26th January. After that the rules will return to what they were before.

I am assuming this includes the OP as they spent Christmas in hospital.

As for getting guidance on where to go from hear from your GP; persist with them. Don’t make the Fit Note the topic of your call, as they will try to deflect it, but make your health problems the focus instead.
Correct. It's back to the usual 7 days now.

Another question though, for any CC members who are employers or manage staff... when the rules change as they did over Xmas, do you get any official notification before any changes come into effect?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

As a manager for 25 to 30 staff, in the NHS, I get notification of such changes within a couple of days of the heal board being officially notified.
do you know who 'officially' notifies the board?

does the Govt send out an email or letter?

lazybloke

Considering a new username
even early this century... holidays were for planned breaks, sick days were for impromptu days off when you just CBA :whistle:
I'm starting to understand why UK productivity is such a joke

Apart from a Covid absence in November I've not had any sick leave since a spinal issue in 2012.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm starting to understand why UK productivity is such a joke

Apart from a Covid absence in November I've not had any sick leave since a spinal issue in 2012.
I was thinking about this a few days ago...

I had a chat with my MD once and he told me that he'd been going over the company records and had spotted an employee who was "taking the piss".

This man had one or two days off sick virtually every month, always on a Monday or a Friday, sometimes a Friday and the following Monday. It was quite obvious that he was taking long weekends, either to party, or to get over partying.

I asked what the MD was going to do about it. He said that the employee did a reasonable job when he was at work and the company could do without the hassle of trying to sack him, but this behaviour would not be forgotten. He would never be promoted and he would get smaller pay rises than he otherwise would have had. In the end he was at the head of the queue when the company had to make redundancies.

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Unless you are self employed or a director, that is illegal.
Lol there's plenty of things that are illegal but work is work so at the hourly rate it's easy to earn £1500 per week.
If you don't want to somebody else will..... Like cheap food you lot don't you?

Top Bottom