Anyone tried to get dental treatment while this lots is going on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Toothache is the worst, i've had times where i've been close to pulling out a tooth myself. I now only have a few teeth left, so the possibility of me needing pain relief dental treatment in the near future are lessened somewhat.
But a crack has developed in my top denture, i'm hoping it holds out as i have no idea if could get it repaired atm. Super glue might be an option. Could be looking at a baby food diet.
I recommend rice pudding or soup ^_^

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
@Dave7 Your post doesn’t have a point as it is factually incorrect both on the furlough scheme and the reasons routine dentist appointments are suspended.
On the contrary............my points are 100% correct.
a) I was explaining MY dilemma and MY pain.....I assure you that was factual.
b) As I clearly stated, that was some one else's thoughts re' furlough etc.
c) I accurately repeated what the dentist told me via email.
I do wish (some) people on CC would not be so quick to judge and condemn.

tom73

Guru
@Dave7 it sounds like you've had some a tuff all time and dental pain is one of the worse things you can have. Hopefully things will settle and you can at least have some respite from the worse of the pain.

Who ever was having a go clearly has not asked around.
All Dental staff within hospitals have been redeployed as for the rest many are not on furlough they've signed up to be redeployed.
Dentists have plenty of skills that are transferable. NHS England has full guidelines about it.
Wound care , Note taking, basic clinical obs, routine jabs, if you end up in A and E and need sedation say for a dislocation it maybe a dentist that you see. Need your bloods taking ? well that maybe a dentist too. Some Dentists are also acting as HCA.
Dental Nursers and others have also been able to be asked to be redeployed.

The Chief Dental Officer ordered all treatment to cease as of the 20th march.
The main issue is any treatment involving AGP full level 3 PPE is required. AGP's are just too risky without a lot of measures being in place and are currently not being allowed to take place. Removing teeth is not a AGP for example so can be offered but only ones by hand. For crowns the tooth may need restorative work which is an AGP. Working in a shop is in no way the same risk as this is. AGP's are not only a risk to staff but to the patient and others who came next.

For a simple check up current day to day PPE maybe fine but we've learned in many cases "low risk" is anything but. So may start to be offered at some point but can only be one person in and one person out and a total clean down each time the treatment room , waiting room and other areas that come into contact with you. So very limited service maybe possible. But even if more open to do basic treatment only. Level 3 PPE will still need to be in place for emergency situations such as CPR. (even if PHE have now downgraded as not a AGP)

Emergency treatment be it limited is happening though it's not universal via a network of Urgent Treatment Centres around 100 are planned. 3 levels are being used , red for covid/mayhave and households with covid/mayhave. Amber for at risk groups and blue for everyone else. Even then it may well be miles away from you and most likely not your own practice. The default treatment via your surgery should be general advice pain management , or other temporary solutions like advising patients to use temporary fillings the type you can buy from the chemist. Or even directing patients if they have sharp edges to use a nail file. :eek:

The 3 level approach is here to stay for some time as like many other health services they will have to find ways to carry no working but in covid active environments. Even rinsing your month out after treatment won't be happening for a good while yet. Basically it will come down to capacity and if you can get hold of enough PPE.

vickster

Legendary Member
@Dave7 it sounds like you've had some a tuff all time and dental pain is one of the worse things you can have. Hopefully things will settle and you can at least have some respite from the worse of the pain.

Who ever was having a go clearly has not asked around.
All Dental staff within hospitals have been redeployed as for the rest many are not on furlough they've signed up to be redeployed.
Dentists have plenty of skills that are transferable. NHS England has full guidelines about it.
Wound care , Note taking, basic clinical obs, routine jabs, if you end up in A and E and need sedation say for a dislocation it maybe a dentist that you see. Need your bloods taking ? well that maybe a dentist too. Some Dentists are also acting as HCA.
Dental Nursers and others have also been able to be asked to be redeployed.

The Chief Dental Officer ordered all treatment to cease as of the 20th march.
The main issue is any treatment involving AGP full level 3 PPE is required. AGP's are just too risky without a lot of measures being in place and are currently not being allowed to take place. Removing teeth is not a AGP for example so can be offered but only ones by hand. For crowns the tooth may need restorative work which is an AGP. Working in a shop is in no way the same risk as this is. AGP's are not only a risk to staff but to the patient and others who came next.

For a simple check up current day to day PPE maybe fine but we've learned in many cases "low risk" is anything but. So may start to be offered at some point but can only be one person in and one person out and a total clean down each time the treatment room , waiting room and other areas that come into contact with you. So very limited service maybe possible. But even if more open to do basic treatment only. Level 3 PPE will still need to be in place for emergency situations such as CPR. (even if PHE have now downgraded as not a AGP)

Emergency treatment be it limited is happening though it's not universal via a network of Urgent Treatment Centres around 100 are planned. 3 levels are being used , red for covid/mayhave and households with covid/mayhave. Amber for at risk groups and blue for everyone else. Even then it may well be miles away from you and most likely not your own practice. The default treatment via your surgery should be general advice pain management , or other temporary solutions like advising patients to use temporary fillings the type you can buy from the chemist. Or even directing patients if they have sharp edges to use a nail file. :eek:

The 3 level approach is here to stay for some time as like many other health services they will have to find ways to carry no working but in covid active environments. Even rinsing your month out after treatment won't be happening for a good while yet. Basically it will come down to capacity and if you can get hold of enough PPE.
What’s an AGP??

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It might be interesting to know how dentists and patients in other countries are coping at the moment and what procedures they are adopting.

tom73

Guru
Sorry i've found myself having that many conversations , meeting and chats in front of the telly when it gets used.
It become common place round my way :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
It might be interesting to know how dentists and patients in other countries are coping at the moment and what procedures they are adopting.
I believe dentistry is on hold in most countries. However I’m sure a Switzerland based client said they have reopened in some capacity (as well as hairdressers, massage)

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've just got this from {my dentist} they are all round the country
Dear patient,
I hope that you and your families are well and that you are staying safe.
In recent weeks, there have been a number of news stories about difficulties in accessing dental services during the pandemic and I understand that you might be worried about what this could mean for you and your loved ones.
I wanted to personally reassure you that {my}dentist is here for you. We are following official guidance and routine dental care has been suspended across all of our practices. But your local practices can still be contacted if you need advice or support, whether you are a registered patient or not. If appropriate, we can also help you get the face-to-face emergency treatment you need.
I have recorded a short video which you can view by clicking the below:

View: https://youtu.be/ZUYzzm2LzWM

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Our Dentist is shut and we usually have 3 month check-ups and cleans - not life-threatening but irritating that we can't have them done.

I have an annual blood test in March re thyroid and I've missed that and cannot appoint it yet.

I had an asthma review last week via the phone.

gavgav

Guru
I have a temporary resin filling in a molar, following raging toothache in February, which was due to be replaced in April, with a silver filling. Dentist called me to say they are closed and have now booked me in for end of July, provisionally.

The resin based filling has just about disintegrated completely now, and I’m having to be very careful eating around it, with tendernesss there. Just hoping it doesn’t get too bad before they can put the proper filling in!

vickster

Legendary Member
Our Dentist is shut and we usually have 3 month check-ups and cleans - not life-threatening but irritating that we can't have them done.

I have an annual blood test in March re thyroid and I've missed that and cannot appoint it yet.

I had an asthma review last week via the phone.
I go every 6 months. Was due to see dentist last month and hygienist in a couple of weeks.
every 3 months seems very frequent for adults?

Top Bottom