Anyone understand orchestral music why do they need a conductor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
What's the difference between a cow and a symphony orchestra?

A cow has horns at the front and an arse at the back ...

MntnMan62

Über Member
They have a drummer who keeps the beat for the rest of them.

Amazing how some people seem oblivious to the fact that it is one thing for a 5 piece rock band to manage without a conductor and an entirely different thing for an orchestra consisting of well over 100 musicians playing in time and in synch with one another. Duh.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
We went to quite a good concert where Itzhak Perlman was conducting. I was a bit surprised as I didn't realise he was a conductor as well as a violinist since I don't normally worry about who the band or conductor is for classical gigs but look at what they're playing. Anyhow, for the concerto bit of the concert he of course played his fiddle but and beat time with his bow for the tutti sections.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Amazing how some people seem oblivious to the fact that it is one thing for a 5 piece rock band to manage without a conductor and an entirely different thing for an orchestra consisting of well over 100 musicians playing in time and in synch with one another. Duh.
It would be surprising to see a quintet with a conductor. And rock is rigid timekeeping, not like the way classical music uses time flexibly.

You will get 100-plus musicians working without a conductor but typically it will be an instrumental concerto, most often led by the pianist or the violinist (as leader of the orchestra or as soloist).

Dag Hammar

First, a question. I enjoyed watching the video of Zorba The Greek and I’ve often wondered why that film does not come round on the TV. Perhaps no TV broadcaster has bought the rights to show it ?
Second, a big thank you to the contributors of this thread. I particularly enjoyed watching / listening to Ravel’s Bolero and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, great performances 👏👏👏👏👏
And finally, ever since I was a little ‘un I too have wondered why the conductor is there and now I ( think I ) know.

Top Bottom