anyone up for a hilly ride over hebden bridge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
it's only water. at least it will be relatively warmer to the last outing. c u 2moro ladz.
You can drown in water!

It's not so much the water as the forecast that it will be driven at us by SW winds of 15-20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph! Mind you, that would make the first climb easy ... I'm still 50-50 about riding tomorrow.

Could you be persuaded to make it a later start? Conditions are supposed to improve towards midday and that might give you a chance to get your Italian fry-up in this time!

potsy

Rambler
You can drown in water!

It's not so much the water as the forecast that it will be driven at us by SW winds of 15-20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph! Mind you, that would make the first climb easy ... I'm still 50-50 about riding tomorrow.

Could you be persuaded to make it a later start? Conditions are supposed to improve towards midday and that might give you a chance to get your Italian fry-up in this time!

I'm happy still coming over if you decide to ride Colin, later time would be OK as well.
Shaun-Did you notice what time the cafe opens? Could be persuaded to have a small breakfast before the ride
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
yeah later works for me. i can put my spuds on, potsy, don't go to the cafe we met in, the breakfast i had was awful and expensive. what time?

potsy

Rambler
yeah later works for me. i can put my spuds on, potsy, don't go to the cafe we met in, the breakfast i had was awful and expensive. what time?

No was thinking of the Italian one but didn't see what time it opens.
If we said cafe at 11am then ride at 12ish depending on what Colin wants to do?

ColinJ

How about you two meeting up for a late brekkie at about 11:15? The Italian cafe should be open by then.

I could meet you in the car park in front of the cafe at about 11:50 with a view to setting off at 12:00?

By then, the weather is supposed to be brightening up and even if there is some rain, at least the wind will be behind us up the Keighley Road. We should be back before 16:00 even if we have a good long stop at Coldwell cafe.

We'll just have to watch out for swirling crosswinds and greasy roads on the descents!

ColinJ

No was thinking of the Italian one but didn't see what time it opens.
If we said cafe at 11am then ride at 12ish depending on what Colin wants to do?
Great minds think alike!

I'm going into town later so I'll take a look at the Italian cafe to see if the opening hours are on the door or window.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'd be there but for the attrocious weather. Oh, and it's our beer festival time. Seriously, the sturdy fence outside our houses blew down and caused mayhem on Thursday night and our streets are running with rain. And of course I have a wannabe murderer who lives three doors away and tried to run me over last Saturday (to the seeming delight of some contributors on these very pages!) so a ride in such circs doesn't fill me with a great deal of enthusiasm. But I will be filled with a great deal of beers tomorrow. Deffo interested in these types of rides though and I'm as certain as I can be that I'll be doing another SITDs shortly.

ColinJ

My God, there are some things about this new forum software that I don't like! A finger just slipped onto the wrong key and a lengthy post disappeared, just like that ... Damn!

If the Italian cafe isn't open, go over the bridge towards the centre of town, turn right down the pedestrianised area in front of the Shoulder of Mutton and go 50 yards to the Watergate Cafe on the right next to the river. I had beans on toast and scrambled egg in there earlier in the week and I would imagine that they would do sausages, bacon etc. as well for you carnivores.

See you at 11:50 in the Market Place car park.

If anybody else is thinking of coming along, pay attention - we've changed the time - meet 11:50, ride 12:00!

Paul - catch you on another one, hopefully when it is less wet and windy!

ColinJ

Well, it looks like they have got the forecast right ... It is slowly brightening up, a bit damp and very windy!

There is a small tree on the hillside behind my house and I can it bending this way and that in the wind. We are going to have to watch it out there today. The first climb will be wind-assisted, but as we progress round the loop we are going to turn into it more and more so we could have a real slog to get back.

Shaun and potsy should be having their late breakfasts in Hebden Bridge now so I'll go and check my bike and get ready. We'll let you know how we got on later!

Garz

Squat Member
Looking forward to the update and any photos!

The wind/rain have been bad for cycling this week, glad you guys have managed to get out.

potsy

Rambler
Looking forward to the update and any photos!

The wind/rain have been bad for cycling this week, glad you guys have managed to get out.

Well that was an experience!! Hills, hills, wind, rain, hills, wind, cake.
biggrin.gif

Thanks as always to Shaun for coaxing me to the finish once again, and even lending me an over-sized jumper when I was getting very cold halfway round.
Colinj was much improved from last week, the trauma of Trawden just a memory now as he tackled the hills that I was having to walk up
thumbsup.png

All in all just over 32 miles for me and Colin, 60+ for Shaun. Here's to the next one.
thumbsup.png

Attachments

• thumbsup.png
    thumbsup.png
    447 bytes · Views: 32

potsy

Rambler
Sounds like a good day out! Nealry got blown off sideways a couple of times here so can only imagine what being near the Pennines must have been like...

At one point we were being blown UP HILL that was fun
biggrin.gif

Can't believe we only did 32 miles though, felt like 62
wacko.gif

Top Bottom