anyone up for a hilly ride over hebden bridge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i enjoyed the ride last sunday so much i fancy another one, possibly over the tops. anyone else up for it? following 1 of colin's routes or similar.

cheers

potsy

Rambler
No!!!!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This is the first time I've found myself wondering if I want to do one of my own routes!

The forecast for Friday and Saturday is looking a bit grim but I don't know about Sunday. I wouldn't fancy riding in really bad conditions. I don't mind cold and dry, or mild and damp, but I definitely don't fancy heavy rain no matter what the temperature!

I've still got a bit of stiffness in my left knee from Sunday's ride. I don't know what's caused that because I haven't changed my bike set-up. I suppose my body would probably take it if the pace was really slow again.

Are you talking about a 50ish mile loop from here or a 50ish mile loop for you with Hebden Bridge in the middle?

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
This is the first time I've found myself wondering if I want to do one of my own routes!

The forecast for Friday and Saturday is looking a bit grim but I don't know about Sunday. I wouldn't fancy riding in really bad conditions. I don't mind cold and dry, or mild and damp, but I definitely don't fancy heavy rain no matter what the temperature!

I've still got a bit of stiffness in my left knee from Sunday's ride. I don't know what's caused that because I haven't changed my bike set-up. I suppose my body would probably take it if the pace was really slow again.

Are you talking about a 50ish mile loop from here or a 50ish mile loop for you with Hebden Bridge in the middle?

whatever people fancy, i just enjoyed the company.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
how about a shortish hilly section about 30ish miles, the rest i'll do over summit, littleborough and whitworth.

so i'm thinking, hebden, oxenhope, laneshawbridge, coldwell cafe, widdup back to hebden. hilly but short enough not to kill.

ColinJ

how about a shortish hilly section about 30ish miles, the rest i'll do over summit, littleborough and whitworth.

so i'm thinking, hebden, oxenhope, laneshawbridge, coldwell cafe, widdup back to hebden. hilly but short enough not to kill.
OMG - it's The Trauma of Trawden route!!!

I think it is best for me to do a few shorter hilly rides like that before doing any hilly 50+ milers this year. Yeah, I like the sound of that - I'm in! ;)

Shall we say 10:00, this Sunday (6th Feb 2011) at Market Place car park again?

(Subject to not having really crappy weather!)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I should be good for sunday.

potsy

Rambler

I should be good for sunday.

We heard you the first time!! Oh wait, you're not repeating yourself for a change
laugh.gif

Having read Colins fabulous Trauma of Trawden story
ohmy.gif
I'll have to think about it, in laymens terms how much hillier is it than last Sunday? How many times will I have to get off and walk?
rolleyes.gif

Looking at the Beebs weather forecast I'm out!!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2372?area=Hebden Bridge

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
one less than colin... :biggrin:

but seriously, less than me as you've got a triple on. i'm on a compact chainset. i won't lie there are some difficult sections, but i know your more than capable. plus it's only about 30 miles (i haven't put it on bike hike yet, i bet colin knows tho).

ColinJ

The forecast for Sunday is currently sunny spells! Bad weather is forecast for Friday and Saturday, plus Sunday night, so it is all down to timing. If the gap in the bad weather comes as forecast, we'll be okay. If it moves by 12 hours either way we'd be getting rather wet!

I usually now modify the original Trawden route to go over the other side of Penistone hill. It's partly because I prefer it, and partly because the original descent is a bit scary. What's more, it was dug up for extensive roadworks last time I was round there in late November and I'm not sure whether all that will be finished.

The original route was 29 miles, and my slightly modified one is 30.

Come on Potsy - I want to know what you make of the route having read my story. You've got to remember, I was a very naive unfit cyclist then. It was a lack of conditioning, a hangover, blazing hot conditions and a total lack of food and drink that did me in. It's actually a lovely ride, though it does pack a lot of hills into the 30-odd miles.

I reckon you would probably be able to ride up all the hills except this one, which is really hard...

thursden_climb_large.jpg

The climb over the cattlegrid, the sharp left and the next 100 metres or so is vicious but then it eases off and dips down before kicking up steeply but less viciously than the first section. It eases off again, before a short climb to the summit from which there are great views. After that it is very quick run back to Hebden Bridge the last 8 miles or so.

And of course, we'd get to have lunch at Coldwell...

lentil-soup-for-cyclists.jpg

coldwell-activity-centre-sandwiches.jpg

Yummy!

Top Bottom