Anyone using Huel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm on day 2 of trying out Huel as my lunch. I'm not especially doing it to lose weight (for what it's worth - in my opinion not much - my BMI is c.22) and it's not really marketed as a weight loss thing, but because it's a shake certainly I thought of it that way.

It's claimed it is a meal replacement that gives you a perfect balance of all the nutrients and business you need - you just mix up the (vegan friendly) powder with 700ml of water and away you go. It's convenient for me because I've got bored of sandwiches or whatever pasty / scotch egg is on offer at Tesco, and such lunches were not exactly healthy anyway. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of milk and milk-based products I eat as I've discovered after 30 years of bad skin on my face that it seems to be caused by milk and cheese.

I'm not bored of it yet (it's day 2, just to remind you) and I'm having my normal breakfast and evening meal. Yesterday I was surprising full, although I did supplement with fruit and nuts (as in a bag of mixed nuts and dried fruit, not the chocolate bar) as I usually have a bag in my drawer at work. I'm pleased too that it's cheaper than making lunch - it works out at about £1 per 'meal' which is not bad.

Just wondering if anyone else is using / has used it, and how you've found it long term?

johnblack

Über Member
Haven't tried Huel, but know people who have and none seemed to stick with it for too long, mostly moaning how bland it was.

Like you, I got bored of sandwiches and such so switched to a diet protein shake at lunchtimes which works well for me. Don't really need to drop much weight at the minute but it is definitely stops me putting weight on if you have a shake at lunch time rather than sandwiches, crisps and the like.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've been using it since mid December with a short break over Christmas. I'm having it for breakfast and lunch almost every day and am getting on well with it, so much so that I've now subscribed for regular deliveries.

Like you my reasons aren't directly related to weight loss but it has been making it easier to shed the belly as you know exactly what you have eaten and it seems to keep you full right up to dinner time.

I am quite windy now though :tongue::laugh::laugh::laugh:

adscrim

Veteran
I've been using it since the beginning of December as a breakfast replacement. With having to walk the dog and get the kids ready for school, I was missing breakfast at home frequently which resulted in buying something mid morning at work. I started on it hoping that I'd spend less and would be less likely to then got for a Danish or Bacon roll mid morning - and it's working. As above, I went for it for convenience and a financial saving rather than weight management (although I was hoping that cutting out a sugary mid morning snack might have a positive impact).

I'd go as far as to say I was enjoying it. I'm about to receive my third delivery (using two packets per month) and I've changed the flavour option from 2 x Berry to a Berry and a Vanilla. In addition I'm trying the flavour booster trial pack (there are something like 6 base flavours but 10 additional flavour boosters you can add to your base). The berry flavour isn't anything to rave about but neither is it horrible. I've no intention of stopping.

Oh, and I too am a little more windy!

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've only tried the Vanilla one but I have got in to the habit of adding coffee - I really quite like it :laugh: Its a strange thing to admit to liking as it sounds so wrong when you try and explain it to people :laugh:

Milzy

Guru
So you guys will stay on Huel for the rest of your life’s? I could understand if you were super busy from crack of dawn until late at night.
Nothing is better than good simple food. I wouldn’t use it if it was delivered to me for nothing. People who pay for that rubbish are the same kind of people who get ripped off with Herbal life products. They lose weight then come off it & put all the weight back on. It’s just not sustainable but kudos for the people at the top of the pyramid making millions of pounds.

JhnBssll

Veteran
So you guys will stay on Huel for the rest of your life’s? I could understand if you were super busy from crack of dawn until late at night.
Nothing is better than good simple food. I wouldn’t use it if it was delivered to me for nothing. People who pay for that rubbish are the same kind of people who get ripped off with Herbal life products. They lose weight then come off it & put all the weight back on. It’s just not sustainable but kudos for the people at the top of the pyramid making millions of pounds.

Bless, someone didn't have their Huel this morning ;)

Heckler

It's a clearly understood way of getting a specific calorific amount per serving and contains an appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals. As a way of cutting down on my calorific intake twice a week as a replacement for breakfast and lunch it suits me, it's not a lifestyle choice and it doesn't make me, nor does it claim to, any more attractive or exciting. If I could be arsed to work out what the calorific content of my usual breakfast and lunch was I'd eat less of that, but I can't so there you have it.

I normally put in a table spoon of drinking chocolate, having tried the other flavour packages and not liking them that much. Did try chucking my morning espresso in there but it made it go lumpy.

CXRAndy

Guru
Complan by another name by the sounds of it.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I used it for a couple of years for breakfast on subscription. I only use a watered down version for recovery or as a ‘snack’ now if I’m feeling hungry mid morning. I have run out and I haven’t found the urge to reorder.

As a gardener it isn’t enough fuel and found I had to whizz it up with frozen fruit or a couple of bananas. Flatulence was something that took months for my body to stop. I also liked coffee added. Their flavour additions you can buy are horrible.

For me £40 a month was too much to justify so I have now switched to oats, yoghurt and fruit.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a swig of huel and it didn't do anything for me.
however I use Exante shakes and bars for breakfast and lunch as, working on a building site and sharing a microwave is not totally to my liking. I clean the microwave but even so.
I have used exante for a while and there are loads of flavors and come in sachets so no wastage. When I stopped using it and ate normally, I didn't stack on weight. Just saying.
I am at work for 7am and can't always be bothered, or face, breakfast at 6.15.

Pretty sure that Huel is similar. Night protein and low carb. It does sound like it fills you for longer maybe.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My God that Huel stuff really is the ultimate scam; basically a cocktail of cheap industrial food ingredients mixed up with a flavour and presented with a lot of pseudo-science to gullible folk. If those folk knew how little those ingredients cost they'd understand how the manufacturer can afford to employ 54 bright young things in their marketing team and a pile of others in production, despatch and consultancy.

Here are the ingredients: https://uk.huel.com/pages/nutritional-information-and-ingredients#ingredients

It's no coincidence that three of the posters above mention flatulence. What's wrong with a proper sandwich? Proteins, fats and vitamins encased in a tasty carbohydrate package.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Just because you're not prepared to pay for it doesn't make it a scam - I know what the ingredients are, I am capable of reading :okay:

If people stopped assuming everyone thinks and acts exactly as they do a lot of the world's problems would be eradicated overnight :rolleyes:

Yes, I could eat a sandwich. Have I managed to stick to that for the last 2 years since my near fatal illness? No. Is Huel working for me? Yes. Will I live longer eating Huel than the stuff I was eating before? Most definitely. I'm sure at some point I will find the time and effort to start making healthier choices with 'real' food but until then someone has solved the problem for me :okay:

Milzy

Guru
Just because you're not prepared to pay for it doesn't make it a scam - I know what the ingredients are, I am capable of reading :okay:

If people stopped assuming everyone thinks and acts exactly as they do a lot of the world's problems would be eradicated overnight :rolleyes:

Yes, I could eat a sandwich. Have I managed to stick to that for the last 2 years since my near fatal illness? No. Is Huel working for me? Yes. Will I live longer eating Huel than the stuff I was eating before? Most definitely. I'm sure at some point I will find the time and effort to start making healthier choices with 'real' food but until then someone has solved the problem for me :okay:
Huel for the win!!

ExsailorUk

Regular
I’m 57, and have been using Huel since March. I’m subscribed for a delivery every 3 weeks and I’m doing fine with it. I lost a stone in the first month, but I was also starting my cycling commute then because I moved closer to work. It’s only 3 miles but it’s refreshing to start the day with some exercise. My daily meals are Huel, I mix 2 lots for work, 3 scoops in 750ml of either milk or water, and I don’t have any cravings for sweets from the machine at work. I always start the day with a berry or coffee Huel and I feel it sets me up for the day.
I may have a Thai meal at the weekend, but mostly I’m hooked on Huel. And I also go for 3 or 4 hours on the bike around Lockerbie at the weekend without any ill effects.
You do need to drink water more regularly otherwise you get blocked up, but I’ve nothing but good points to say about it. I’m a maintenance Fitter in my work and on my feet all shift (5.30 - 2.30, 2 - 10.30 and 7pm - 6am) and I still have good energy to ride home afterwards.
If you change your mind-set on needing to have a ‘proper’ meal and give your body a chance to get used to Huel, you’ll be happy with the results I’m sure.
It’s not for everyone, and it can taste powdery , but it’s good for you, and good for your pocket too.
Btw, I use a bullet blender to mix mine, and the associated mugs that come with it are easy to pack in the backpack and makes it quick to make up for the day.

Top Bottom