Anyone want a cheap Planet-X?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
cor blimey. naff chainset though.

MichaelM

Guru
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I'm not sure £900 is 'cheap' for any bike.

It is for a carbon frame with Dura Ace STI's and mechs and a very decent set of wheels.

Yes there are a few cost saving parts in there, but overall it's not expensive for what it is.

Andy

Smokin Joe said:
I must say I'm getting tempted. How do I smuggle the thing in without some serious domestic strife?

It can't be!
At some point you WILL be found out...accept the strife now and then no need to worry about it later! :evil:

Will1985

Über Member
I was trying to work out earlier if you could buy it like that in the offer, sell off everything but the frame/fork and seatpost, and come out cheaper than their £525 frame+fork offer!

Any idea? I think it would be about the same.

Smokin Joe said:
I must say I'm getting tempted. How do I smuggle the thing in without some serious domestic strife?

Wish I could give you some helpful advice on that.

I've tried logic, the 'think of it as a big xmas present for me and son' route (reply: 'so what am I getting then?'...'errrr')
Pleading to her better nature.
And I'm not too proud to go down the begging route either.
Still no progress.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I was actually handed a gift from heaven by Mrs Smokin Joe a few months ago. I pointed out a Raleigh Dynatech in the CW classifieds and said "That's exactly the same as the one I used to have".

Her reply was that she couldn't even tell me what my present bikes look like! The only problem is delivery of something new and getting one of the current crop into the loft without her knowing. Even she would notice a 50% increase in the number of steeds in the garage.

mondobongo

Über Member
I have found the catch!

If you scroll through to the end you will see a build up charge of £99.
Obviously if you do the build yourself there is no charge but it does not say how much work is required. If you are not mechanically minded it might not be the absolute bargain it first appears.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Competant to do most of it, but what about the forks and headset? I found this difficult to do properly myself even after buying a headset press. I ended up taking the bike into my LBS, who sorted it out in a couple of minutes. I would hate to try it with carbon forks. How are bike shops with putting together bikes you've bought off the internet? I don't think one of my local bike shops are very happy about doing work on these sorts of bikes. If the frame came with the headset and bottom bracket installed then I'd be happier to buy one (although I can't justify it at the moment).

Top Bottom