Anyone Who Watched the Giro Yesterday Still Think Helmets Don't Do Their Job!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swansonj

Guru
I have watched the footage, and I still think what I thought before, that no-one can conclude from that footage alone or almost any other single incident whether the helmet helped a little, helped a lot, or made things worse, without an enormous injection of blind prejudice. That's not about the politics of helmet wearing, that's just about basic drawing of conclusions from evidence.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's not true, there are people on this site that have changing their minds as a result of reading through these threads.

I'm one of 'em; swayed by evidence after reading internet. I dare say it strains credibility but there jt is.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I suggest as Adrian has mentioned that you do a little more research then....
Why? I have read everything posted up in threads like this and still choose to wear a helmet. It has Not stopped me cycling btw. It has not caused me to have an accident while cycling either.

Do you think that I need to read continually about this until I change my mind?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You aren't concerned that safety equipment makes cycling appear to be a dangerous activity way out of proportion to the actual level of danger, and that is a factor that limits the take up of cycling by ordinary people going about their ordinary lives?
It didn't stop me, as a new rider, and neither has it stopped colleagues starting the C2W scheme alongside me. I am 18 months in and still choose to wea a helmet. See loads of cyclists out there, who are also not put of by wearing a helmet. I also see a smaller proportion who choose not to wear a helmet and still cycle. It's all about choices. I never said I was an advocate for Compulsory use of helmets! Just not scaremongering about it putting people off.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Why? I have read everything posted up in threads like this and still choose to wear a helmet. It has Not stopped me cycling btw. It has not caused me to have an accident while cycling either.

I don't know that anybody is trying to get you to change your mind, but you may want to look at how helmets are tested.

MisterStan

Label Required

For a start you don't seem to have much idea of how they are tested and what that means;

They don't rate helmets for speed, that I can find anyway

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
By your reckoning, as banger racers need helmets so should drivers..
So, as members of the public on public roads, you think the aim of the game is to deliberately drive into each other in order to get where we need to be faster. Nice one! ;)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
It didn't stop me, as a new rider, and neither has it stopped colleagues starting the C2W scheme alongside me. I am 18 months in and still choose to wea a helmet. See loads of cyclists out there, who are also not put of by wearing a helmet. I also see a smaller proportion who choose not to wear a helmet and still cycle. It's all about choices. I never said I was an advocate for Compulsory use of helmets! Just not scaremongering about it putting people off.
You're right that lots of riders wear helmets, both new riders and more experienced ones too. What we don't see unfortunately is how many more there might be if wearing a helmet wasn't seen and indeed promoted by many as being essential.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I don't know that anybody is trying to get you to change your mind, but you may want to look at how helmets are tested.
It always appears that way in threads of this nature. I have looked at the tests and my point about speed was in response to someone posting that they're not tested at 40mph. I just responded that there is no such measure as it's generally tested differently.

MisterStan

Label Required
It didn't stop me, as a new rider,
You, no, but as mentioned above, it can make our pass time appear to be dangerous, which can be off putting. You should also consider (and I think this is very important) that some people have no interest in racing or descending at 40 mph. A lot of people may simply want to use the bicycle as a means of getting from A to B.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You're right that lots of riders wear helmets, both new riders and more experienced ones too. What we don't see unfortunately is how many more there might be if wearing a helmet wasn't seen and indeed promoted by many as being essential.
That's spot on. We don't see the figures either way. We never will so neither side of that argument holds water?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
point of order - banger racing is racing bangers. You are thinking of a demolition derby
I know what Banger Racing is. Cheers. If you have watched it, you will know that it is accepted that contact is a big part of the race, whereas it's frowned upon in formula 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom