Anyone Who Watched the Giro Yesterday Still Think Helmets Don't Do Their Job!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
You, no, but as mentioned above, it can make our pass time appear to be dangerous, which can be off putting. You should also consider (and I think this is very important) that some people have no interest in racing or descending at 40 mph. A lot of people may simply want to use the bicycle as a means of getting from A to B.
As above, we will never know about how it puts people off. Purely academic either way.

I still believe that helmets are beneficial even for slower journeys, especially commuting in traffic.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That's spot on. We don't see the figures either way. We never will so neither side of that argument holds water?
We can look at Australia for examples of how helmet compulsion affected rider numbers.
I think it's also fair to say that people will not necessarily wish to participate in an activity which they view as dangerous and if an activity requires special protective equipment doesn't that suggest it is dangerous?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
We can look at Australia for examples of how helmet compulsion affected rider numbers.
I think it's also fair to say that people will not necessarily wish to participate in an activity which they view as dangerous and if an activity requires special protective equipment doesn't that suggest it is dangerous?
Admittedly, I don't know about Australia, but will have a Google later and see.

If introduced here, of those riders already cycling, would it stop them riding? Would they suddenly think it's dangerous and stop? Or would it be just because they refuse to wear a helmet?

Just for clarification, I am not saying it should become compulsory. Not my view tbh.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
whoooosh

GC
Lol. If you have not seen any does it mean they don't exist? :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I know what Banger Racing is. Cheers. If you have watched it, you will know that it is accepted that contact is a big part of the race, whereas it's frowned upon in formula 1.

ooh I don't know - what about Senna biffing Prost off the track in the Jap grand prix? Seemed to be part of the game.

PS I am being flippant by the way, and you are quite right really

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.

If introduced here, of those riders already cycling, would it stop them riding? Would they suddenly think it's dangerous and stop? Or would it be just because they refuse to wear a helmet?

Just for clarification, I am not saying it should become compulsory. Not my view tbh.
If introduced here it would be unlikely to make any difference to the view point of the people that are already cycling.

Profpointy

Legendary Member

I think we can reasonably imagine people being put off by the nuisance of having to cart a helmet round once you've arrived at your destination - and thus the biggest disincentive for casual cycling or cycling-as-transport, more than for leisure cycling. It must be said that Australia is a hot country and having to wear a helmet would make cycling pretty unbearable I'd have thought, so would be more affected than here perhaps

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
If introduced here it would be unlikely to make any difference to the view point of the people that are already cycling.
Ok. I agree there. So if people simply seeing other cyclists wearing helmets puts some off, and introducing it as compulsory for those already not put off has no effect, then bringing in a law for compulsory use won't change anything?

The only thing that would change anything would be for people not to be seen wearing a helmet I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom