Anyone Who Watched the Giro Yesterday Still Think Helmets Don't Do Their Job!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not the same logic at all, seat belts are fitted in the vehicle unobtrusively, remain there when the vehicle is unattended and are "one size fits all".
Plus, putting them on is a much quicker activity and they're much less noticeable in use than the "I am making myself safe" helmet ceremony and feeling.

Drawing another comparison with seat belts, has anyone seen decent crash-test dummy tests of helmets, rather than disembodied heads or (in one experiment I've read about) torsos?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For some people, putting on the uniform of a cyclist is a positive part of the deal.
I guess there's always someone who likes wearing lycra and a hard hat but needs an excuse! :laugh:

I wonder how people's driving would change if we required all motorists to wear F1-style clothing?

broadway

Veteran
Seatbelts are uncomfortable and crease your clothes. Equally as important as messing your hair up. :smile:

Really, Do many people find seat belts uncomfortable? And what do you wear that creases because of a seat belt, I don't think that is a concern for most drivers.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Really, Do many people find seat belts uncomfortable? And what do you wear that creases because of a seat belt, I don't think that is a concern for most drivers.
Exactly. Equally as uncomfortable as a helmet and the messing hair up argument. ;)

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
@bpsmith I haven't looked at the thread for a few hours but now I have I'm a little disappointed. You appear to have become fixated on my comment about helmet hair which is not particularly conducive to the sensible debate/chat you said you were interested in. Very many people, in particular young adults and in particular young adult women are rather concerned about how they look and how they believe others see them, forcing them to wear a helmet or giving them the impression that they should wear one will not encourage them to take up cycling, despite what your extensive market research has told you.

Lets go to the basics on page1?

1. This is a race with higher speeds, more close contact and more risk than ordinary cyclist will face
2. Accidents that more common
3. The same applies to other races

Lets rephrase the question?

alonso-spa.png

Anyone Who Watched the Grand Prix series that Still Think Helmets, roll cages,custom built seats and fireproof suits Don't Do Their Job!?!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Most helmets allegedly create more airflow around the head than not wearing one at all. Who know how true this is mind. lol.
Not in my experience. Hard cycling on a hot day with a helmet and I can squeeze sweat out of the pads afterwards. When I'm bareheaded it just evaporates straight off

So, as members of the public on public roads, you think the aim of the game is to deliberately drive into each other in order to get where we need to be faster. Nice one! ;)

.... In the same way as some think the aim of the game for the the average cyclist will be riding at high speed in a packed peloton of 100 riders in close formation?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
@bpsmith I haven't looked at the thread for a few hours but now I have I'm a little disappointed. You appear to have become fixated on my comment about helmet hair which is not particularly conducive to the sensible debate/chat you said you were interested in. Very many people, in particular young adults and in particular young adult women are rather concerned about how they look and how they believe others see them, forcing them to wear a helmet or giving them the impression that they should wear one will not encourage them to take up cycling, despite what your extensive market research has told you.
Not fixated, just tongue in cheek amidst the other serious stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom