Anyone Who Watched the Giro Yesterday Still Think Helmets Don't Do Their Job!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You still have not answered my question, also please do not use the term "ladies" when referring to women, it's sexist and unnecessary.
Back on topic, what are your thoughts on these:
01335CC7-A2E8-4E8C-A305-36CF525BE9F5_zps5kcjodvf.jpg

475ED95F-92FD-497C-A132-B4AF95E97EDA_zpscqaxn3ja.jpg

3DA8EA32-393B-4C09-BB83-EC62A2AAE9BD_zpszjckzqqg.jpg

84F2F518-D2E5-4361-B580-7B7470F97401_zps7ae3lb6c.jpg

49EC8A0E-5F87-4D20-87E1-AC9FC3FA9F74_zpsmrze3kun.jpg

I think that covers the complete age spread.
Love it, of course, but they are not riding on narrow, slippery, uneven paths, shared with dogs, pedestrians and random wildlife, neither are they battling rush hour traffic on main roads while trying to see through a curtain of rain.
PS: I don't wear a helmet all the time, have been reprimanded when I was not wearing one, by cyclists and non cyclists equally :smile:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I couldn't care less what other riders do and I wouldn't tell anyone they should wear one, but as the original question was do I think they work in some crashes......then yes speaking from experience, but I am perfectly aware that it will only be certain impacts that they will give some protection against.

When I crashed at high speed last summer I wasn't even aware of my head hitting the road but when I looked at my helmet next day I was quite surprised to find it badly scraped and compressed and I didn't even have so much as a headache. Much better than a scraped and compressed scull in my view so I will carry on wearing one.

It should remain 'Horses for Course' as far as I can see.

Rather than simply considering helmets as a debate in itself, and with SAFETY as the paramount consideration, perhaps the question should include any safety wear which can reduce injury as a direct result of an accident, and additional methods to make cycling safer.
With this in mind,
  • leather clothing can ( most definitely) reduce injury following an accident at speed.
  • Airbags can reduce injury following impact.
  • Gravel can reduce road contact, thereby increasing the chance of an accident.
  • Speed can kill.
Fast moving 'sport' should segregate participants from the {normal} environment, so that safety measures can control safety for those taking part, and those who aren't.
I realise this post widens the focus, but feel that racing [ or at least speed] increases the potential of injury.

Helmets are simply one part of the equation.

Last edited:
You still have not answered my question, also please do not use the term "ladies" when referring to women, it's sexist and unnecessary.
Back on topic, what are your thoughts on these:
01335CC7-A2E8-4E8C-A305-36CF525BE9F5_zps5kcjodvf.jpg

3DA8EA32-393B-4C09-BB83-EC62A2AAE9BD_zpszjckzqqg.jpg

84F2F518-D2E5-4361-B580-7B7470F97401_zps7ae3lb6c.jpg

I think that covers the complete age spread.

Maybe in the UK we have unknowingly helped to develop the fear that cycling without a helmet introduces a higher danger.

U

User33236

I don't normally post in helmet threads primarily as they usually very quickly get unfriendly and locked. Nice to see this one remain different... For the time being at least :smile:

I wear a helmet whilst cylcing, both commuting and leisure, and was recently involved in and RTC on my way home from work. This resulted in me landing flat on my back. GPS showed I was traveling at 22mpg at the time of impact and possibly lost a little of that whilst flying through the air prior to impact. My helmet suffered comppression damage to the back. There was also evidence of it being close to its failure point due to several hairline cracks.

I therefore concluded that, in this set of circumstances and at this speed, my helmet fulfilled its job saving me from possible injury and I was therefore glad I had been wearing it.

Unfortunately a colleague who had been considering getting his bike back out for commuting has now changed his mind following my collision as it had changed his perspective on the 'danger.

Finally: should helmets be compulsory? No, absolutely not, leave everyone to assess all the evidence and make up their own mind.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm one of 'em; swayed by evidence after reading internet. I dare say it strains credibility but there jt is.
Me too. I realised that since there is no evidence that a helmet is an effective risk-mitigation measure, and since there is evidence that helmet-wearing incorrectly increases perception of risk, and since I am a risk management professional it was rather hypocritical of me to continue wearing one every time I ride.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Judging by the sheer amount of car drivers on my daily commute I see not using a seatbelt, then yes.
Because I've always worn a seatbelt (I started driving after the law had come in) it feels odd to me not to. I'm also the right shape and gender for it to be fine for me. My father often doesn't bother, he drove for 30 odd years without one and never died (or some similar argument) and doesn't like them. I remember him plugging belts behind the seat to stop alarms going off in at least one of his cars, probably the Princess. My wife, who is vaguely my age also regularly doesn't wear a seatbelt when driving (she'll never wear one in the back of a car). She is quite short and, lets say, substantial. Meaning that often she is outside the comfortable adjustment range of the seatbelt and it digs in to her in all the wrong places. She has never been ticketed for 'no seatbelt', she's occasionally had pointing and tutting though.

Seatbelts though, aren't a big enough issue for me not to drive a car, the driving of the car is just too handy. I can imagine some mandatory safety equipment that would put me off of bicycles, although I'm not sure, for me, helmets would be one.

To be fair, as I have a 'sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, sometimes I don't just to be contrary' approach to helmet wearing I would probably take my fathers view if it became compulsory and test to see if anyone could be bothered to ticket me for it...

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
She has never been ticketed for 'no seatbelt', she's occasionally had pointing and tutting though.
I remember hearing once about a chap that was driving along and noticed a copper driving in the opposite direction gesticulating at him, in response he gave the officer the finger. As you would expect the copper did a u-turn caught up with the chap and stopped him. The officer then asked the fella why he had given him the finger to which the chap replied "Cos you called me a self-gratification artist." "Actually sir," replied the officer "I was telling you to put your seat belt on."
I like to think this is true.

.stu

Über Member
Finally. I do appreciate an honest reply, so thank you for that. This is the answer I suspect many of the above posters would honestly answer, but won't. I also suspect that most would actually think it is more likely that the helmet saved his life than caused more injury.

Would like honest replies to my thread though. I think that's fair before posting unrelated questions.

I think the other replies before this were also honest, they just didn't agree with your viewpoint tho. Clearly you are simply looking for reasons to justify your belief in cycling helmets, rather then discuss their merits objectively and without preconceptions.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I think the other replies before this were also honest, they just didn't agree with your viewpoint tho. Clearly you are simply looking for reasons to justify your belief in cycling helmets, rather then discuss their merits objectively and without preconceptions.
They were honest, but didn't actually answer my question if you read them. I am quite happy to hear other viewpoints, hence this thread, and me looking into Australia and ramifications on compulsory helmet use, etc.

What I find pointless is many of the other replies, which add nothing to the discussion. They are also based on preconceptions, as are most of the replies that were actually useful. Everyone has their view, including me, but I am not looking for justification. I have a helmet and will continue to use it, much like Pozzovivo will very soon.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I wear a helmet. Personal choice (for now). But it drives me insane when people say "my helmet was cracked, so without it I would've had a cracked skull". A skull is much, much stronger than polystyrene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom