Anyway We do have a world Gold medal Black cyclist!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TVC

She should be but unfortunatly didn't win in Beijing, so got completely ignored by the press. If she'd won she would be hailed as the kid from the back streets/broken home/underdog who made it to the top, with the tabloids making her a national heroine.

Hopefully her time will come.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Well maybe but it's a mickey mouse sport isn't it which doesn't help?

It's not much of a spectator sport either.

Will1985

Über Member
She should stick to the velodrome.

I don't think the French care what colour Gregory Bauge's skin is....he wins lots of track sprint events.

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
rich p said:
Well maybe but it's a mickey mouse sport isn't it which doesn't help?

It's not much of a spectator sport either.

I would love to see your beer belly attempting what she does on a BMX!!!!:rofl:

I think she would show most people on here up with her athletiscism!!!

Oh and I met her at the London skyride last year and Son No 1 got her autograpgh, she is a lovely looking girl.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm not saying that you don't have to be fit and talented but it ranks alongside 5 a side footie, softball, rugby 7's and synchronised diving as unnecessary sporting offshoots.

Oh, IMHO:biggrin:

I'll ignore the accuracy of the beer belly jibe:biggrin:

Don't forget World Championship Beach Soccer, rich! Or that beach volleyball game where finely tuned pairs of ladies make V signs to each other whilst caressing their bottoms - in full view of the TV spectator I understand / so I have been told...

The Velvet Curtain said:
She should be but unfortunatly didn't win in Beijing, so got completely ignored by the press. If she'd won she would be hailed as the kid from the back streets/broken home/underdog who made it to the top, with the tabloids making her a national heroine.

Hopefully her time will come.

Just seems that way with sports doesn't it. BMX = council estates. 3 day eventing = public schools. Very much a generalisation but I think it comes down to what facilities are available to the potential participant. Hence the popularity of football, you need a football (or tin can/rock as my parents can testify from state of my childhood shoes) and a mate. Or several mates, numbers never seemed to matter too much.
Shame she didn't do better in Beijing though.

OP
OP
D

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
Aperitif said:
Don't forget World Championship Beach Soccer, rich! Or that beach volleyball game where finely tuned pairs of ladies make V signs to each other whilst caressing their bottoms - in full view of the TV spectator I understand / so I have been told...

hehehe, I think I saw that on the telly once!! Yes thats it I am sure I saw something like that once!!!

Piemaster said:
Just seems that way with sports doesn't it. BMX = council estates. 3 day eventing = public schools. Very much a generalisation but I think it comes down to what facilities are available to the potential participant. Hence the popularity of football, you need a football (or tin can/rock as my parents can testify from state of my childhood shoes) and a mate. Or several mates, numbers never seemed to matter too much.
Shame she didn't do better in Beijing though.

3 day eventing isn't what you have come from, it is what you have got on the day which counts (deep pockets)

Shame about her crashing out at Beijing though :bravo:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here she is. Not a very flattering picture though.

Shanaze%20Reade.jpg

Rassendyll

Shanaze Reade got a huge amount of coverage after winning the world championships and in the leadup to Beijing.

She was IIRC one of the featured athletes on the BBC's Road to Beijing specials along with Tom Daley and a couple of others. She hasn't had as much publicity since but she hasn't done as well since.

I reckon she would be up there, if not ahead of Cooke and Pendleton, in a poll of female cyclists that a non-cyclist could name or recognise.

Top Bottom