Apalling actions from an Arriva bus driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
On a side note if you have a potential audience of 1 million then you may want to think carefully about naming a local coach company as having crap coaches too, unless of course you have proof?
They are fully aware of my complaints to the company and have just ignored them. That particular bus company has some very dodgey driving in it. I have even uploaded a video dedicated just to them, illustrating my concerns. Have they apologised or even tried to make a resolution? No. They just started making accusations and fraying away from the matter at hand which is their drivers.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
:tired: 23 pages on this? Jesus people, go and ride your bloody bikes!

Pieface

They are fully aware of my complaints to the company and have just ignored them. That particular bus company has some very dodgey driving in it. I have even uploaded a video dedicated just to them, illustrating my concerns. Have they apologised or even tried to make a resolution? No. They just started making accusations and fraying away from the matter at hand which is their drivers.
Then report it to the police if the driving is so bad. All it is now is a matter of opinion, which can pave way for libel proceedings if they so wish.

U

User6179

I wrote some reasonable, considered and practical advice earlier in the thread (#361).

It was 'liked' by the OP (whatever that means), who then said he only confronts other people where he feels it necessary to educate them (I paraphrase).

My piece of sarcasm was more a flag of surrender. The OP seems to cherry-pick advice and be fuelled largely by the misplaced enthusiastic support of some who believe him to be a courageous herald of a new tomorrow.

I do not. I find his actions (almost all that he films) to be gauche, egocentric, ill-considered, often ill-mannered and always more inclined to increase rather than decrease blood pressure.

I and some others have been pleading with him to back off and stop making a clown of himself for months. The large number of views on Youtube are freakshow views (a youtube hangover from Victorian society).

This young man will get hurt or worse. Some on here egg him on and support him.

I was being sarcastic (childishly so) and was also waving a flag of surrender. I am perfectly happy to be wrong, but I find the OP's behaviour disturbing. Others do not.

I am not a doctor and know almost nothing of Asperger's. Matthew, the post in question was childishly sarcastic. This means that I think the opposite of every opinion I give in the post.

This post is not sarcastic. I seriously think you should take the advice from the club you left, get back and ride with them, try to stop your grotesque head-shaking, finger-wagging, rule-preaching, interventionalist attitude and stop confusing the number of Youtube viewers you achieve with some barmy sort of acceptance and inclusion.

Your friends are VC Melyd and other local riders, not fellow moon-barking would-be cam-slebs on CC.

I surrender. Both in his matter and in my fruitless attempts to dig up an apple root in the garden. I've stuffed the cavity below it with dry wood and will burn it. I cannot dig another ounce of soil or cut another millimetre of tree root.

I was not criticising your post but just pointing out that it would be confusing for matthew.

On the subject of the tree root, tried burning one out once and failed , you need to dig a trench around the stump and cut all the roots as you go ,this should leave you with a giant hole which looks like a bomb has went off in your garden.

I was not criticising your post but just pointing out that it would be confusing for matthew.

On the subject of the tree root, tried burning one out once and failed , you need to dig a trench around the stump and cut all the roots as you go ,this should leave you with a giant hole which looks like a bomb has went off in your garden.

Ha ha.. Thanks for the root advice. I lied. It isn't an apple, but a purple-leafed plum-cherry. It is very old and has the most outrageous root system. It seems out of all proportion with the size of the tree, which was about 15 feet to the trunk top with a crown maybe 15 feet across and a height just under roof-ridge height.

I usually dig a circular trench and work round the roots as per your advice, but I am older and this tree is big. I no longer have that special mumbo that lets you swing a fork, spade, axe or similar at below-ground level to any effect.

In the end, our elder son and I got under it, stuffed the vault we'd dug with sawn boughs from the tree and torched the lot with a little petrol to help it.

Lovely red-glowing fire going in the hollow now and it wobbles a little when shoved. I think it will be nicely cooked in the morning. I took the trunk down to 5 feet, so it won't hit anything if it falls.

Thanks again for the advice. I've decided I'm now too old to lift tree roots alone.

Origamist

Legendary Member
The fair way to deal with that would be for the people spoiling the thread to cease. It's unreasonable to lock a thread to constructive comment for the sake of a few who don't know how to, or rather choose not to, follow the forum guidelines.

GC

Quite a few threads have been closed that contain constructive criticism as well as abuse in the past.

Anyway, my own personal take on when a thread should be nuked is when Boris' word count gets into five figures, BimblingBee embeds his third video from Matthew's YouTube channel, Reg quotes a Road Traffic Act, Potsy "likes" one of my posts and I start pontificating.

Quite a few threads have been closed that contain constructive criticism as well as abuse in the past.

Anyway, my own personal take on when a thread should be nuked is when Boris' word count gets into five figures, BimblingBee embeds his third video from Matthew's YouTube channel and I start pontificating.

This is deeply unfair. It takes me several thousand words to say 'good morning'. I am not as others.

I think you ought to lock a thread when it diverts into a discussion about how to lift the root of a felled fruit tree.

The fire seems to be doing the trick. I love the smell of lazy woodsmoke across a summer garden in the dark of a rural night.

Good evening.

lukesdad

The fire seems to be doing the trick. I love the smell of lazy woodsmoke across a summer garden in the dark of a rural night.
Thats the roof burning Boris.

Powely

Bit of a weird post !!!!!!!

Yep - absolutely. Making a company aware of teh actions of their employees is entirely correct, and the responsible way to deal with such driving

I have never carried a Highway code and what on earth leads you to the conclusion that I am looking for someone to confront?

Let me remind you of teh first line of my post to which you have replied:

As for the video........... How did you come to such a learned and concise opinion of something that doesn't actually exist?

The video is confidential between myself and the company involved and not in the public domain so you are voicing an opinion of something that you have not seen!

Which is exactly what I did and you have taken exception complaining that such an action is confrontational and "looking for someone to confront".

Again a bizarre conclusion and I would again love an explanation how you came to this diagnosis.... was it on the evidence of the video that you haven't seen?

I think the best thing to do is delete your post and replace it with something that actually approaches reality?
My post was directed at the original poster. I was suggesting they took your approach in future!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
You can try to say the horn is for safety but that is BS and you know it, it is for aggression, pure and simple.

Whaaaaaa? In the 4 years/20,000 miles I've commuted, my horn has saved me 3 or 4 times from being completely taken out by drivers emerging from side roads. It's also stopped one driver (who was looking at the wrong traffic lights) from continuing after setting off through the red light. When I say 'saved me' these were occasions where I genuinely believe the cars wouldn't have stopped as they had simply failed to see me.

I sincerely hope you're not saying that I use my horn for aggression as I would seriously take offence! (In fact I find it offensive for someone to say that about any rider.)

We all have a choice of equipment that we feel is necessary for a safe ride, and I would never want to be in a position where I didn't have a final throw of the dice to prevent serious injury/death. Yes, I'm sure there are horn happy riders out there, but we should steer clear of tarring all horn users with the same brush.......we have enough of that coming from drivers branding us all as lunatic, red light jumping, non helmet wearing, lycra clad, non driving losers who shouldn't be on the roads as we don't pay 'road tax'.

Pieface

Whaaaaaa? In the 4 years/20,000 miles I've commuted, my horn has saved me 3 or 4 times from being completely taken out by drivers emerging from side roads. It's also stopped one driver (who was looking at the wrong traffic lights) from continuing after setting off through the red light. When I say 'saved me' these were occasions where I genuinely believe the cars wouldn't have stopped as they had simply failed to see me.

I sincerely hope you're not saying that I use my horn for aggression as I would seriously take offence! (In fact I find it offensive for someone to say that about any rider.)

We all have a choice of equipment that we feel is necessary for a safe ride, and I would never want to be in a position where I didn't have a final throw of the dice to prevent serious injury/death. Yes, I'm sure there are horn happy riders out there, but we should steer clear of tarring all horn users with the same brush.......we have enough of that coming from drivers branding us all as lunatic, red light jumping, non helmet wearing, lycra clad, non driving losers who shouldn't be on the roads as we don't pay 'road tax'.
I'm sure he means Matt and not everyone who uses a horn

PK99

Legendary Member
I've said something similar before. In helmet debates there is a claim that wearing a helmet leads to risk compensation/perceived invulnerability. Some helmet cammers seem to exhibit a similar effect (note, some not all), and, rather than committing to the negotiation of space that is necessary out on the roads, and cycling assertively yet defensively, they cycle in an aggressive way to claim their rights on the road - confident that if they do come a cropper they will have video evidence to prove they were in the right. In doing so, they themselves exhibit some very dubious cycling behaviours. The Droid is a prime example, protected in his cocoon of cameras, he wanders randomly across lanes and then complains when drivers mis-read his intentions, he splits lanes by riding along the white dividing line and complains when passed on either or both sides. Others, eg Gaz, exhibit exemplary cycling behaviour from which we can all learn, and has the honesty to admit to his own goofs.

You could not make it up...I post the above comment about Droid and then he posts his latest Youtube vid>

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oled9yaCoM

watch from around 1:10 in..... Glad to see comments there criticising his positioning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom