Apologies - another FSA 4000 BB question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I have a Boardman ADV 8.9....cracking bike that I really enjoy but is let down by the creaky/noisy FSA bottom bracket.

I'm very much a BAB … born again biker and despite searching and reading various posts/threads I'm confused by what brand/model of bottom bracket and crank/chainset I should choose. I believe the FSA 4000 is rare in that it takes the uncommon 19mm spindle.

Would some one please give me an idiots list on which parts I need to replace/upgrade the FSA bottom bracket and chain set please.

The chain, rear and front mechs are original equipment by the way.

Thank you one and all very much.

All the best,

Andy.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I have a boardman sports hybrid. The bb was never noisey however after 3k miles I changed it due to wear. Whilst the crank is fsa like yours, the bb when removed was an unbranded one presumably fitted to keep costs down. I guess it's one of the few components you can't see on a bike so they get away with it.

gbb

Legendary Member
I never understood why in the world FSA thought having a plastic sleeve between the bearing and the crank was a good idea. The sleeve gets eaten away quite quickly leaving you with excess play. Bearings in the BB are the cheapest nastiest uncaged type too...it really hasnt got much going for it.

OP
OP
S
Well today fitted Shimano 68mm Dura ace R9100 BB and 105 5750 10 speed 50/34 crankset and all is good.

I had to re-position and adjust front mech but otherwise a simple upgrade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom