Appreciating music, years later

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I was browsing thru what I should play next and thought I'd give Prince a shot.

Wow.

I forgot what his music sounded like and not only that, the sounds I didn't like much as a kid, well now I have a different level of appreciation for. I noticed this with other music too that I haven't heard for a long time, like Ellie Brooks.

I've been listening to various Prince albums over the last couple of weeks. Lovely music, really good. I enjoy it image different way today than I did years ago. Next, I'll give Kate Bush a spin of the (virtual) CD.

What shall I listen to next?
Do you feel different listening to the same music today that you did years ago?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indeed.

When I was young and a raging headbanger there was music that I would point blank refuse to listen to.
There are many bands and artists that fall into this category that I now listen to that I wouldn't have done and enjoy immensely.

A prime example would be Depeche Mode. I love everything that have done from the Violator album onwards and their live shows are simply fantastic. There is no way on earth I would have listened or even liked their music when I was younger.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
There's all sorts of things I would have never listened as a young 'un. It was a case of "What will others think of me if I listen to..." and as you get older you stop caring, listen to it anyway and realise how good it was after all.

Edit - re: Kate Bush - The Sensual World is brilliant, listened to it recently after a long time off it and it's still great.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I played some of my old LPs a year or two ago. 'Tommy' (The Who) and 'Relics' (Pink Floyd) made me feel so uneasy that I couldn't listen to them. I then put on one of my mother's Jim Reeves albums and it actually sounded quite good :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
try some prefab sprout

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
IMO, it's just a load of instruments being played fast, out of tune and all at the same time.
"Fire in a pet shop jazz", as someone round here memorably dubbed it.

Re the OP: it can of course go the other way. I recently tried a couple of albums by Yes & Genesis - staple listening when I was 18ish - but ended up giving up on both.

Top Bottom