Appreciating music, years later

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
EDIT: Rock music drops the 3rd from the chord and uses mainly 1st and 5th notes (The power chord), using no 3rd note in a chord causes musical ambiguity and enables the guitarist to noodle around using the pentatonic/blues scale, which has a minor third. Resulting in playing minor based scales over a Major tonality, same as black American traditional blues music.

Like in Paint it Black?

Hyslop

Veteran
I turned into my dad years ago, I'm now morphing into my granddad.
Wish I could pull that trick.My Grandad was 6ft 2".Im not !

PaulB

Legendary Member
I go through phases of getting all the recordings of artists I was either too young to get into when they were big or was too poor to afford all their stuff at the time.

I recently really got into The Faces, The Small Faces, The Kinks, Humble Pie, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder (although that was a catch-up, I've always followed that genius), James Taylor, Gram Parsons, Otis Redding, the Rolling Stones (early stuff), BB King and Chuck Berry.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I go through phases of getting all the recordings of artists I was either too young to get into when they were big or was too poor to afford all their stuff at the time.

I recently really got into The Faces, The Small Faces, The Kinks, Humble Pie, Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder (although that was a catch-up, I've always followed that genius), James Taylor, Gram Parsons, Otis Redding, the Rolling Stones (early stuff), BB King and Chuck Berry.
Steve Marriott joined a mate of mines band in the late 80s, I was at their first gig together at the 'Princess Charlotte' in Leicester. :becool:

View: https://youtu.be/aL2dd4HyS_k

View: https://youtu.be/JTavoGJsgeg

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
So how old were you when this came out (in 77 I think,)

View: https://youtu.be/IfjPivYmV7Y

I was 2 years old.
Interesting fact: she wrote that aged 13!! That is genius.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Morten Harket holds the European record for the longest note held in a Top 40 pop song. During the song "Summer Moved On" Harket sustains a chest voice note for 20.2 seconds (8 measures).[1]
Morten Harket holds the European record for the longest note held in a Top 40 pop song. During the song "Summer Moved On" Harket sustains a chest voice note for 20.2 seconds (8 measures).[1]
Have a look at .Bobby Martin in this clip,

He starts at the 5 minute point

View: https://youtu.be/-TItmXT8DkM

Not as long (quite) but not a single note either.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Talking about The Faces with Rod Stewart

I wouldn't have ever listened to this as a youth in a million years

This is just friggin awesome and I'm addicted to it

Do you feel different listening to the same music today that you did years ago?
Still listen to a lot that I did, say 25 years ago
Eg; Stray Cats - maybe I appreciate Brian Setzers guitar playing even more now, if that's possible?
Restless - ditto Mark Harman)
10547881_10205435136430123_7048259565595246911_o.jpg 988908_10205435138870184_1840290265669488487_n.jpg

Dave Edmunds - guitarist. writer, producer, multi-instrumentalist & played with a real 'legendary list'
his 'Subtle As A Flying Mallet' LP, is a wonderful Phil Spector tribute

Still got most of my Edmunds vinyl (7" & LPs)

Country?, I still listen to that in most forms
Some notables are;
Jerry Reed (absolutely fantastic guitarist)
Steve Earle (with or, without The Dukes)
Dwight Yoakham
Glen Campbell (vastly under-rated guitarist)
Dixie Chicks
Dolly Parton (don't like the '9 to 5' period, mainly the newer Bluegrass influences, but tracks like 'Coat Of Many Colours' still move me to :cry: )
Flatt & Scruggs
Johnny Cash
Waylon Jennings
Ricky Skaggs
Hank Williams (was he the first rock 'n' roll rebel?)
Carter Family
Alison Krauss

When I was young and a raging headbanger there was music that I would point blank refuse to listen to.
There are many bands and artists that fall into this category that I now listen to that I wouldn't have done and enjoy immensely.
The converse for me, Ian
Couldn't stand 'metal'/heavy rock, but now occasionally listen to Led Zep, although that's due to my being lead (ha!!) towards it by such collusions as Alison Krauss & Robert Plant?
Plus seeing Plant & Page(?) on Jules Holland, particularly when they once performed 'Gallows Pole'

I played some of my old LPs a year or two ago. 'Tommy' (The Who) and 'Relics' (Pink Floyd) made me feel so uneasy that I couldn't listen to them. I then put on one of my mother's Jim Reeves albums and it actually sounded quite good :smile:
Jim Reeves was always a voice that got to me, even as a 10 year old
So pure & refined

Top Bottom