Approaching cycling with the wrong mentality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
See you later off out on the bike to Woodhall Spa 1940 weekend.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Widening the scope slightly, I've found over the years that approaching cycle maintenance with the right mentality is equally important.

When my shifter ate my gear cable a couple of weeks ago, it took me over an hour of manipulating to free it, but I was determined not to give up.

Henry Ford nailed it: "If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."

Jimidh

Veteran
I get pleasure from all aspects of cycling from bombing along trying to catch the rider I can see up the road, to firing down the drops with my son on MTBs to pluttering around my my daughter.

All of these are pleasurable and none is more or less important than the other.

The thing I have learned though is not to be obsessed by missing rides. Big Club ride today and a few years back I would have dragged myself up early doors so I wouldn’t miss it but this has been a busy week family and work wise so i’m having a lazy Sunday morning, nice breakfast chat with my wife and probably a lazy spin later.

gbb

Legendary Member
There shouldn't be a my way and their way...and my way is right attitude...that applies to almost anything.
I guess Johnnyb is probably like me, it's just in me to push myself, I can't help it. I went out in 27 degrees the other night...i'll have a steady bimble I thought, you're 60 and it's too hot to go mad. Within a few miles I was off, pushing myself, I just can't help it, it happens every time and I love it for the most part.
I get immense pleasure from what I've achieved, I was never good at any other sports. Equally if folk want to bimble, cruise, whatever they prefer, that's great. Neither right or wrong.
It's no good anyone telling me I should just go out and bimble and enjoy the ride and scenery, I can't do that when I want to. I still immesnsely enjoy what I do at a modest level.
But then when I reached my tipping point, I instantly enjoyed not pressuring myself, instead enjoying those 30 to 40 mile rides at what was to me a modest 16mph average (if only I could do that now ^_^)
I think...only think, perhaps Johnnyb's reached a perhaps temporary block, physical or mental. Back off a bit and give yourself a bit of time to figure what's going to work for you.

Doobiesis

Über Member
Ive been cycling for over six years now. I think everyone goes through the phase you have just gone through. You then get to a stage where you only do what’s best for you. I use Strava but only compete against myself and try to make myself a faster cyclist. I bought the expensive clothing, because it does make for a better ride. But am still on my Aluminium frame, it’s only 4 years old, I can’t afford a carbon at the moment.

I only have really spend money on nutrition at the moment. I don’t have a fancy computer just my iPhone.

Rowano

I can relate to a lot of this!! Bought my first roadie about 6 years ago, bought some cheap cycling clothing, bought new tyres, new wheels, better coughing, a computer, new groupset.... Then I started working harder at getting better at cycling myself and actually started to get better! Now I replace things when they need it and just enjoy my evening and weekend ride along the Edinburgh cost

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Cycling is for everyone....
....and not just for Christmas....

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
This "ambition" BS, and "getting out of your comfort zone" seems rubbish to me.
I suppose if you do cycling mainly as a sport, to keep fit, the statement above makes sense.
I cycle mainly for transport: once I was told "ah, you need to challenge yourself on the bike sometimes ..."
Eh?! I aim to get places on the flattest, safest route possible, with enough breath left to enjoy whatever I'm gonna be doing once I get there :laugh:

bladesman73

Über Member
I used to live by the Garmin..always chasing PBs on Strava. Then I had a heart attack at 43, 2 years ago, from out of nowhere due to a genetic cholesterol issue. I have now ditched the garmin and strava and gone back to why I started cycling in the first place..for the love of the outdoors. Have a lovely full carbon race bike but just enjoy the ride nowadays..best move I ever made

bpsmith

Veteran
I like chasing Strava segments. I also like a Pootle too. I mix it up depending on whether I want a workout or a chillout. The former often acts as the latter anyway.

I did the Velothon yesterday. Had already decided to chillout on it this year and just enjoy the countryside. The temperature hitting 34 degrees at one point would have made that decision also.

My plan was to reign myself in on the flat fast areas and then enjoy the climbs and the fast descents that followed, where there were less riders to consider.

Average speed was 2mph lower than last year, but knocked over a minute of The Tumble and around 40 seconds off Caerphilly Mountain. Therefore a great result for what I wanted to achieve.

My point is that Strava isn’t all bad, it just depends on your personality, and that goes with so many other things in life. It’s the recognising the signs of a problem that matter and changing things that counts, so kudos to @johnnyb47 for that.

Top Bottom