Approaching cycling with the wrong mentality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
It was not so long ago that I took up cycling again after many years away from it.
Initially I started because my change in personal circumstances had left me feeling somewhat depressed and having way to much free time on my hands with the departure of my wife. To begin with ,everything was bought on the cheap. A £70 road bike and the cheapest gear I could lay my hands on. 10 mile bike rides felt like epic journeys and would come back home feeling completely knackered after it.
Ever night after work I would get out and cycle, and I was amazed by how the simplicity of a bike was starting to transform my downbeat mood. The weight started to drop off and I started to feel good about the way I looked again. In 3 years I've manage to lose 3 stone in weight..
As the month's flew by ,my rides slowly increased in mileage terms. From doing 10s they slowly went up to regular 20s and then 30 miles a night. Last year I tackled and managed to complete a land mark 100 mile ride. It was really hard going and felt knackered for a few days after, but it was well worth it , just for the feel good factor and the experience of seeing so much of our great land.
This year has been even more intense in cycling terms. I've done countless 70 mile rides in the saddle and feel really good physically after them.
All this cycling is obviously a positive way to go ,but it's not been of plain sailing. As my hunger for cycling has grown, so has my ambitions to want to go faster and invest in more expensive equipment. Strava is the devils work for me unfortunately. I started using it just to see how well I'm getting on against my self ,but I found myself, self obsessing on and trying to compete against others who where well out of my league. As much as I tried to adopt an attitude to not do this, I would always ultimately end up racing around and putting myself in the red on each ride.
Rides were now not much fun ,and was really feeling the after affects the following days. Another obsessive desire was to wanting that better/lighter bike and the expensive accessories that go with them. There's me on my cheap steel framed 80s Peugeot with a cheap computer and cycle clothing whilst virtually everybody else I know rides expensive machines equipped with pricey garmin computers and the latest clothing.
Within three years of taking up cycling ,I have felt my approach to my cycling mentality really did need a reality check. The last few months I've reigned in all this nonsense of thinking I'm going to be the next Chris Froome, and have ditched the addictive strava and stopped the yearning for that expensive carbon fibre bike I could ill afford.I've come to the conclusion ,the only thing I need to continue to enjoy cycling is my health and to keep things as simple as possible. It often makes me wonder if others may of gone through this silly phase just like I have ,on over thinking to much on bike tech/ personal stats such as strava, and aspirations to buy the best bike they could afford a,nd then lose the whole reason as why they took up cycling in the first place..
Hopefully this phase in cycling has now moved on, and i can just simply get on with what I wanted out of cycling in the first place ,which is untimely to enjoy, un wind and stay fit :-) :-)
All the best.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I got a carbon bike for my 50th birthday. It’s very nice. My favourite bike is a 1982 Reynolds 531 steel roadie with downtube shifters. Brilliant bike.
I do have a Garmin and very handy it is too as I moved here 3 weeks ago and keep getting lost. I have Strava too but don’t worry what anyone else is doing. Strava is just for me really.

Sounds like you have the right attitude. Ride, have fun, repeat.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I can certainly relate to some of this - you've matched my own experience about coming back to cycling after a long lay-off, building up endurance and then pushing yourself so hard that much of the simple enjoyment you got from biking in the beginning has started to disappear.

Only one thing to do - and it looks like you've already made the decision - step it down a notch.

gbb

Legendary Member
I suspect you can split this into two quite separate things .
The desire to improve and the desire for better equipment...which you tell yourself will bring you more improvements. There's nothing too much wrong with either IMO, so long as you're capable and can afford it.
I went through the pushing myself thing. At 50, I could ride 80 miles hard and got my average up to 18 mph over 50 mile solo rides. It was fairly rare to get overtaken by another solo rider. Without specific techniques or training I suspect the reality is I was just hammering myself. I enjoyed every moment getting there but as I've said a few times, all of a sudden I started to bawlk at the idea of another 6 hours in the saddle...i'd reached the point where I wasn't enjoying it for what it was. So I suddenly tailed off to 30 to 50 mile rides and my averages dropped steadily back to 16mph.
Then I think about what I started with...a budget Raleigh Chimera, 8 speed, heavy as a brick. Better bikes, better wheels didn't make any great difference other than comfort and enjoyment...which are real benefits...just not the ones I thought I was going to get. My full carbon job, at some levels a still modest £1200 was well worth the money just for the enjoyment of owning it...but it's not worth me spending any more, better groupsets, wheels aren't going to be VFM for me...perhaps you've reached that stage.

It wasn't wrong to do either, hammer yourself to improve or buying better stuff...if you enjoyed it at that time...i know I did. But as they say with the gambling ads....when you stop enjoying it...stop. Modify it and find a new level you're happy at.

classic33

Leg End Member
I started cycling to prove others wrong. Most notably the "medical experts" who said I'd never be able to do it. The reason, epilepsy.

Started with a bike built from the parts, moved onto a frame built by myself. With a gearing system that "wouldn't work". Still have it, just non standard parts required.

I'll never be allowed to drive, so the bike was key to getting & keeping some jobs. My first expensive bike was written off in a crash whilst less than six months old. With the possiblity of the job moving further, a better bike was required, I felt, if I wanted to prove the naysayers wrong.

I'll approach cycling somewhere, having been told it can't be done. A case of prove it can't, then I'll try.

Now with four wheels, and the only one round here, it's still a case of me doing what I've been told I can't do or be nuts to try it. The "Beast o'Burden" is there for riding first, speed a distant third. The fun comes first. When the fun goes out of cycling, I'll look for some other means of replacing it.

A simple bike computer is all thats used. Record the total distance covered, I'm not going to set any records, but I'll have fun trying. Maps are stored in my head, with paper backups carried on the longer trips.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I can't say ever having had you dilemma, @johnnyb47.
When I started cycling it was for utilitarian purposes, the leisure bit came later once I discovered some local groups.
I knew immediately that I need reliable, sturdy bikes, that I needed at least two in case one was out of commission.
I got my basic model Garmin about 4 years ago, for my first CC forum ride, I wanted it in case I got dropped and lost: I didn't and I managed to show the way to others, so it was money well spent, still haven't upgraded yet as it does me.
Strava is great for knowing where I've been, where others have been so I can go to!
Clothing? I discovered I hate padding, most lycra makes me itchy, the racing cyclist's uniform makes my bum look big ... the rest of me too :laugh:

mustang1

Guru
To the heck...
...with all that tech.

Many years ago i bought a cycling computer but never installed it as I thought i may become a slave to it.
Some years after that I started commuting by bike and knew one day it would become just-another-mundane-journey, so I made efforts to break up my commute: either by taking a yearly break and/or mixing it up with different bikes and routes. That approach still works for me many years later.
Not too long ago I got into Strava but only to record my rides in terms of where I've been and to log distance. I've never had any interest in doing anything more than that - long may that continue!

This "ambition" BS, and "getting out of your comfort zone" seems rubbish to me. Anyone who tells me "to live, you need to get out of your comfort zone", I tell them "why dont you play russian roulette with a gun or something".

Alan O

Über Member
For me the expensive bike I used to dream of when I couldn't afford it was a 531 steel bike, back in the 70s/80s. I finally did get one around 1985 when I got a better job, and that's been the only bike I've ever bought new - and I still have it.

After a bit of a gap I came back to cycling a couple of years ago, still with the same bike, and I've since added a 2nd hand MTB and a self-built tourer. But I have to say I really have no desire for a modern super-light bike. I don't actually like the look of most of them (which is fortunate), and I don't see any point spending lots of money on saving a couple of kg when I'm about 15kg overweight myself - I could do with losing more than an entire bike weight off my own body first!

I do love Strava, but not for competitive things - I just love being able to keep a record of my routes, and I really wish I could look back at those long-forgotten routes from my youth.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi.
It was not so long ago that I took up cycling again after many years away from it.
Initially I started because my change in personal circumstances had left me feeling somewhat depressed and having way to much free time on my hands with the departure of my wife. To begin with ,everything was bought on the cheap. A £70 road bike and the cheapest gear I could lay my hands on. 10 mile bike rides felt like epic journeys and would come back home feeling completely knackered after it.
Ever night after work I would get out and cycle, and I was amazed by how the simplicity of a bike was starting to transform my downbeat mood. The weight started to drop off and I started to feel good about the way I looked again. In 3 years I've manage to lose 3 stone in weight..
As the month's flew by ,my rides slowly increased in mileage terms. From doing 10s they slowly went up to regular 20s and then 30 miles a night. Last year I tackled and managed to complete a land mark 100 mile ride. It was really hard going and felt knackered for a few days after, but it was well worth it , just for the feel good factor and the experience of seeing so much of our great land.
This year has been even more intense in cycling terms. I've done countless 70 mile rides in the saddle and feel really good physically after them.
All this cycling is obviously a positive way to go ,but it's not been of plain sailing. As my hunger for cycling has grown, so has my ambitions to want to go faster and invest in more expensive equipment. Strava is the devils work for me unfortunately. I started using it just to see how well I'm getting on against my self ,but I found myself, self obsessing on and trying to compete against others who where well out of my league. As much as I tried to adopt an attitude to not do this, I would always ultimately end up racing around and putting myself in the red on each ride.
Rides were now not much fun ,and was really feeling the after affects the following days. Another obsessive desire was to wanting that better/lighter bike and the expensive accessories that go with them. There's me on my cheap steel framed 80s Peugeot with a cheap computer and cycle clothing whilst virtually everybody else I know rides expensive machines equipped with pricey garmin computers and the latest clothing.
Within three years of taking up cycling ,I have felt my approach to my cycling mentality really did need a reality check. The last few months I've reigned in all this nonsense of thinking I'm going to be the next Chris Froome, and have ditched the addictive strava and stopped the yearning for that expensive carbon fibre bike I could ill afford.I've come to the conclusion ,the only thing I need to continue to enjoy cycling is my health and to keep things as simple as possible. It often makes me wonder if others may of gone through this silly phase just like I have ,on over thinking to much on bike tech/ personal stats such as strava, and aspirations to buy the best bike they could afford a,nd then lose the whole reason as why they took up cycling in the first place..
Hopefully this phase in cycling has now moved on, and i can just simply get on with what I wanted out of cycling in the first place ,which is untimely to enjoy, un wind and stay fit :-) :-)
All the best.
Great post!

It’s like a cycling ‘Damascus moment’ when we figure what cycling is all about. It’s about smiles not miles.....

Top Bottom