Appropriate shed/storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
Living in a ground floor flat with limited space and a wife with a serious aversion to seeing my bike (and golf clubs, turbo trainer, football kit etc.) inside, I need to find a suitable solution.

We have a private rear garden for the flats where I have a frame my brother made as part of his Uni course (product design), but it doesn't have any covers. I need to get something to house both my bike, toolkit, spares, possibly kit (or helmet) and at a push my golf clubs). It needs to be sturdy enough to withstand the weather and secure enough to lock up. Whilst it is a private garden, I still don't 100% trust the neighbours.

The leadsholders are currently ok with the frame I have but I am going to let my brother have that back to keep and replace it with something else. I don't have the ability to bolt to the floor - current frame is chained and padlocked to a heavy metal pipe on the building.

Budget is flexible within reason but what I have found for myself so far hasn't really what I would call justifiable. If any members have some recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Asgard ftw :smile:

Can't fault the product or service. You do however need a flat concrete base to bolt it to. About £500

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Aardvark Joinery, I have seen the workmanship that goes into their products and have to say it is craftsmanship of the highest order. We ordered a childrens playbarn for the grandchildren, it took five weeks to arrive(all built to order so you have to wait your turn) but the panels are all built by hand and i was absolutely blown away by the quality of what is essentially a wooden shed.http://www.aardvarkjoineryshop.com/

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Sorry should have made that point, doubt I can bolt to anything. Current metal frame is chained and padlocked around a metal drain pipe
get a decent solidly built shed, cut a section of the floor out and insert wooden frame, backfill with concrete and mount ground anchor in the concrete, chain bikes etc to anchor . fairly cheap infra red sensor alarms can also be useful.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Well the ground is the leaseholders, so I'm not sure how they would be with me wanting to putting concrete down or bolting. The original agreement was on the basis of no impact to their ground.
Ah, that complicates things a little, another option is to create the concrete block in a wooden box prior to fitting the shed floor then cut a hole in the floor above the concrete just big enough to fit your ground anchor, that way anyone trying to pull against the anchor would have to pull up the floor of the shed in the process.
Alterantively, mount a large sheet of steel or strong plywood under the shed floor during assembly then mount your ground anchor to the floor, what you are doing is spreading the load across the shed floor making it almost impossible to pull the ground anchor away without ripping up the shed floor.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Ah, that complicates things a little, another option is to create the concrete block in a wooden box prior to fitting the shed floor then cut a hole in the floor above the concrete just big enough to fit your ground anchor, that way anyone trying to pull against the anchor would have to pull up the floor of the shed in the process.
Alterantively, mount a large sheet of steel or strong plywood under the shed floor during assembly then mount your ground anchor to the floor, what you are doing is spreading the load across the shed floor making it almost impossible to pull the ground anchor away without ripping up the shed floor.
Interesting idea. I may look into that then.

gareth01244

Über Member
I have an Asgard shed, you don't need to put down concrete, it just needs a level surface to ensure that the doors line up so paving flagstones would work and again its so heavy that you don't need to bolt it down. I rate their products highly and when you come to move it will dismantle easily and will have a good resale value unlike a wooden shed that will probably be looking a little bit tired.
They do several versions to suit all needs and occasionally run discount codes around bank holiday's and the like

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Asgard if you can , with a normal wooden shed if you cant use a ground anchor you could get a bucket and fill it with concrete and stick a d - lock in it with only the circular bit poking out to create an anchor.
There is a wall mounted shackle for wooden sheds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom