Apps for planning a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clocKwize

Hi guys,

Getting in to cycling a bit, I've done a few hour rides doing around 10 miles a time, not because i was tired or anything but i didn't know where to go and how to get back to my house!

I wonder are there any apps that let you draw a route on a map, then give you stats like distance and climb etc and also give you directions?

I'm basically doing slightly bigger circles each time around my town but i need to go further to clock up the miles. Strava shows me taking odd turns and stuff because i see a sign that will take me roughly back to my area and i don't know if thats the last road that will!

Any help appreciated!

Born2die

Strava, mapmyride, garmin connect (if you have a garmin), ridewithgps and bike route toaster are just some that's out there there is also google maps

I tend to go the the gym pool in the am then do a 10/15 mile loop ending at my daughters school to collect her only downside is I have to put trainers in a bag so I can walk home

Leodis

Veteran
Don't you need premium Strava for map creation and use? I use Endomondo as you can map but it doesnt give elevations which is a sod.

You could create on OS Maps GetaMap and save the GPX file and upload to any tracker in theory.

I tend to plot rides on either ridewithgps or bikehike. Bikehike is probably more user friendly in letting you see the gradient better, but unlike ridewithgps doesn't let you save routes (unless you've got some web space elsewhere).

lozcs

Guru
I use 'bike route toaster' quite a bit - although be careful as some of the routes it uses are not really suitable for road bike - had to walk down a couple of rough tracks in the past. I normally check parts of routes from bike route toaster with google street view before riding them.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
vernon nobody rides in the rain especially if they own a carbon bike
Oh, cr@p! Looks like I stuffed up big time, then! :wacko: I've ridden my < 1 year old $4500 Specialized carbon road bike in the rain several times. Each timeI got home and upended it for cleaning, water would flow out of it :laugh:. Doesn't seem to have melted the bike, though.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Bikeroutetoaster is one of the better ones for mapping off road paths. Which is probably why lozcs finds it unsuitable for his road bike. I prefer www.gpsies.com for mapping.
Google bike route planner will list dozens.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Oh, cr@p! Looks like I stuffed up big time, then! :wacko: I've ridden my < 1 year old $4500 Specialized carbon road bike in the rain several times. Each timeI got home and upended it for cleaning, water would flow out of it :laugh:. Doesn't seem to have melted the bike, though.

It's dissolving you have to watch out for, or friction.

The friction of the raindrops sliding down the CF strands creates static electricity, and if the fibres aren't entirely correctly aligned, the positively charged threads try to push away from each other and your bike explodes into a pile of wet fluff.

The only way round this is if you go fast enough so rain travels upwards on the underside of the downtube and downwards on the upside of the downtube. The opposite charges attract but if you go for more than 25 miles like this your tubes will shrink and your bottle might fall off.

Top Bottom