April's ride with food

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Well done Abs, great route, recce and write up.

I completely agree about the road surfaces around Richmond/Kingston/Hampton, they are crap to be honest and box hill the same from my last reccollection..

I cant fully commit to this ride as I cant book up most things in advance right now and I do need to be home no later than 6pm that day, but as its in my own back yard it will be easy to change direction and shortcut my way home if need be.

I also need to remember this is a SATURDAY ride.... ahem.. however, as long as no one pops their clogs around then, then i'll be in..

martint235

Dog on a bike
Quick question: the title says 100 "quick" miles... expected rolling avg would be? Oh and how nasty is Boxhill...?

Box Hill isn't nasty at all. It's long but the road zigzags up it so it's not particuarly steep at any point. Not sure about rolling average, usual 13-14mph I would imagine.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
cheers Martin.

I'll have to consider my position on this one then ;) I have only ever done 100+ once before (Dun Run in 2009), so wouldn't want to bite off more than I could chew.

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Quick question: the title says 100 "quick" miles... expected rolling avg would be? Oh and how nasty is Boxhill...?

The main intention is for those who are doing the 100 a month challenge. The pace I did it at isn't achievable with a group due to lights and regrouping. Rolling average I'd like to aim for 14 which with setting off at 8:30 should get us to the lunch destination and back to the start in reasonable time.

Box Hill is a doddle and it's just a low middle gear spin it's shere road before the lunch stop that'll catch you out. Although that is subjective really but if you've ever ridden up Haverstock Hill in Hampstead, Box Hill is a similar constant grade of pedal, pedal, pedal.

Abs

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
cheers Martin.

I'll have to consider my position on this one then ;) I have only ever done 100+ once before (Dun Run in 2009), so wouldn't want to bite off more than I could chew.

Well technically the route is actually only 80. ;) Just those doing the 100 will have the there and back plus I intend to do a lap or two of Hyde Park to finish before riding home.

The first few rides had an outward bound quarter way stop but it's not very feasible for 100 runs. Cambridge the second ride was organised with an intended stop that we ignored and pressed on. This ride it'll be one stop only, lunch. Which also has a handy post office/news agent just over the road to restock on water and snacks if needed.

Abs

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Okay, thanks Abs. I will have a think...

C'mon Ant. You will be fine.
Be good to have you aboard. And as Abs has said, the route really isn't that hard. So the distance shouldn't be a problem for you.

bugger wanted to do this but I am away with the family
angry.gif

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
User1314
davywalnuts (maybe)
gbs
Ianrauk
HaloJ
Martin235
Martok
rb58
redjedi
sittingduck (descision made) ;)
StuAff (likely)

gbs

Guru
Abs: FWIW, I have just returned from a "seniors" rerun of the C&M Hilly 50 k: 50 miles door to door, 3400ft of vertical with 5 significant climbs including Whitedown Lane, ave speed 12mph. Yr route is I assume flatter/faster. So,100m at 14 mph seems doable given the terrain as I understand it. Having said that 100m is beyond my current experience and so that may be a wild extrapolation. I know I will have to feed as we go along.

What vertical do you estimate?

OP
OP
HaloJ

HaloJ

Rabid cycle nut
Vertical is about 4000ft. Allowing for group slow down factors , lights etc 14 should be acheivable. I managed 16 MPH but then I regrouped easily with myself after being stopped at lights. ;)

gbs

Guru
Vertical is about 4000ft. Allowing for group slow down factors , lights etc 14 should be acheivable. I managed 16 MPH but then I regrouped easily with myself after being stopped at lights. ;)

Abs, great reconnoitre report; many of us spend most of our lives trying tofind ourselves! See you on the day.

Top Bottom