Are all chamois creams equal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcusjb

Let's just say I was pretty sore when I did a 100 miles, don't want that again. Sudocreme is good for after the event but I wouldn't want it all over my cycling shorts, thick and greasy

Triathletes generally aren't cycling for 10 hours...

Conotrane is a good alternative to sudocrem - easier to apply, less greasy and cheaper!

Crankarm

Guru
Savlon cream works great.

Savlon is an antiseptic whereas Vaseline whilst offering relief just traps moisture creating a breading ground for nasties. Apply Savlon liberally and not only when about to or during ride but when going to bed as well. No idea about Assos cream. It's probably way over priced for what it is so I wouldn't buy it. Anyway I don't use a chamois down there so wouldn't be buying chamois cream.

marcusjb

Creams...?

I use sand, mixed with crisps and broken pistachio shells.......

Ah, you are also using the new Rapha Hard Man range? Only £40 a pot as well.

MikeG

Guru
Well, I beg to differ from most of you, I'm afraid. I do think that all chamois creams are equal: equally unnecessary. I've never seen the point.

Thinking on this subject just now, I wonder if there is anything to this analogy: lip balms, I am 100% sure, make you require lip balms. In other words, once you use them, although you get temporary relief your lips seem to dry out more completely afterwards, and so you need to use them again and the cycle goes on and on. Great business for the manufacturer.

Is there any possibility that chamois creams are in the same category? I have never used them because I have never needed them, despite doing tens of thousands of miles in all sorts of conditions. However, if I had started using them, would they produce a kind of dependence.........giving temporary relief, but never allowing your skin to toughen up? I don't know. I'm asking, not theorising.

vickster

Legendary Member
But why would a triathlete need it more than anyone else riding a bike? They ride a shorter distance than most on say a Sunday club ride? For me length in saddle is the key determiner of nether region tenderness which can also vary by shorts worn and how hot it is

Top Bottom