Are all chamois creams equal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Never use cremes when I'm doing short distances of 20-30 miles. Do use them when I'm cycling regular distances above that but mainly for the anti fungal properties as, despite having showers immediately after rides, I can get quite sore. I'd rather be comfortable when riding. My legs give me enough grief on long rides without adding pain from other regions!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I might be made 'differently' to some people, but I find the cream is only applied between the 'areas', not on the actual 'area' if that makes sense.

i.e. forward of the back door, but behind the front garden ornaments........

MikeG

Guru
2.gif

Hmmmmm. I don't really see your point. In fact, I can't say I agree with you at all. However, that doesn't mean that I disagree with you. Right or wrong, you do at least put it very succinctly.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Lanacane works for me. Helps all the bits slide around and not get wedged where you don't want them wedged.
Just don't apply immediately before trying to pull on any straps on your saddlebag because, for a few minutes at least, your hands will be slicker and slippier than a very slippy thing.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
No. No. They should carry on., its funny

fimm

Veteran
But why would a triathlete need it more than anyone else riding a bike? They ride a shorter distance than most on say a Sunday club ride? For me length in saddle is the key determiner of nether region tenderness which can also vary by shorts worn and how hot it is
Trisuits have a much lighter pad than conventional bike shorts (you have to swim and run in it as well). Padded shorts are more comfortable. I don't know how it affects men and their awkward bits as I'm female.
Is 112 miles far enough to require chamois cream?

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends on the individual I'd say - there are some folk who'll do a 200k audax with no padding at all. I was pretty sore after about mile 90 on the 100 but haven't had an issue when have done 75. If you think you need cream, use it

yello

Whether they are all equal is an each to there own thing. Try the cheaper ones (home brew, sudocrem, conotrane, E45, whatever) and see if they do the job for you.

One thing I would ask is what is the job you want a cream to do? Because no amount of any cream will resolve numb bum. That's very much a saddle and position issue. Or simply a matter of getting used to it and/or toughening up.

If it's to alleviate soreness, rash, irritation or whatever then that's an issue where creams CAN help. For me, it's as much about temperature as distance. I don't use saddle creams in winter, except on long rides, because I don't need them. In summer, it's a different issue. I get, um, sweaty (fret not, that's as much detail as you'll get ;) ) and if I don't use a cream then I will get red and sore, even on a 30km ride. I use either sudocrem or conotrane (works well on babies of all genders, I'm led to believe ;) ) for the ride, and conotrane after, sometimes daktarin if things are looking particularly angry. On longer rides, I take a small tube of generic supermarket own brand nappy/babies bum cream in the event that I need to re-apply.

I have used more expensive creams (there's a lovely sensation to Assos' one :blush: ) but I found that they didn't work any better or worse (for my purposes) than sudocrem.

U

User6179

I might be made 'differently' to some people, but I find the cream is only applied between the 'areas', not on the actual 'area' if that makes sense.

i.e. forward of the back door, but behind the front garden ornaments........

The area you speak about is known as No Mans Land for future reference:thumbsup:

Top Bottom