Are aluminium Rigid MTBs becoming harder to get hold of, or do they not make them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I’ve looking around for a second hand aluminium rigid MTB. When I say rigid, I’m meaning without any suspension. (The Hard tail MTBs have suspension on the front).I`ve not managed to find any rigids in aluminium. Were rigid MTBs never made with aluminium?

There were oodles of rigid MTBs with aluminium frames, indeed it was once the norm, so keep looking. Have you heard of ebay and Google?

Ok, I was being a bit facetious, but for mountain biking 5lb off the bike will also trump 5lb off the rider. Purely because of the additional physical manipulation of a bike when mountain biking when compared to road riding. 5lb off bike or rider doesn't make a lot of difference for roadies, but on a technical XC trail a lighter bike is a blessing when lifting over roots/rocks. Or switching direction quickly in tight S corners. And before you say you have to lift both rider and bike over roots, on small roots, say up to 6", no you don't. If done correctly you lift/unweight the bike over the root, suck up movement without moving your body at all. Hence why the lighter frame helps.

Venod

Eh up
Something like this for a replacement front end

I put one of these on, a bit more expensive, I put a cheap Chinese fork on a CX bike and had no problems apart from a long wait for delivery.

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?p=197

vickster

Legendary Member
Its not the kind of bike op is asking about.
Maybe not but he then goes to talk about tourers and riding in wet/mud, not off road. He says he can't find what he wants. I suggested the Subway might offer the rigid option and be easy to buy for the couple of hundred budget. He hadn't actually mentioned 10kg at that point.

Maybe make a suggestion of a bike for the OP yourself?

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
You will be able to build a MTB sub 10k but it depends on your budget and how much you want to chase the weight. There is a good thread on bike radar where the OP got his Carrera down to a silly weight but it's all about chasing grams.

What's your budget?

Jody

Stubborn git
He mentioned a few hundred in post #11

Few hundred and sub 23lb is virtually impossible unless he picks up nd old bike that needs work. MTB, that weight and budget is not going to happen. Reckon it would be at least 700-800.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Maybe not but he then goes to talk about tourers and riding in wet/mud, not off road. He says he can't find what he wants. I suggested the Subway might offer the rigid option and be easy to buy for the couple of hundred budget. He hadn't actually mentioned 10kg at that point.

Maybe make a suggestion of a bike for the OP yourself?
He mentioned the weight in the third post......

Top Bottom