Are any CCrs really going to suffer in this heat ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We're forecast to have one hot day. (It hasn't happened yet ;))
Anyone would think the world is coming to an end. :surrender:

TWO hot days for most of us.

Strictly speaking, the worlds of several hundred people probably WILL come to an end because of the heat in the next couple of days!

Most of them will probably be very old or ill already, but still - not a nice way to go...

I will be out and back before 11:00 (like today) to be on the safe side. I'll save my longer bike rides for when conditions are cooler.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I love the heat. I could happily live in a hot country with heat most of the year. Though I don't sunbathe. (1 because I'm a red head, 2 because most of my body is tattooed.)
I love cycling in hot weather, have done so in both France and Spain. Its just glorious. Just have to take it easier then usual and make sure to keep hydrated.

Mike_P

Guru
Certainly warming up today - ebike to Sainsburys this morning (20 degrees avg), the return 20 mins later (22 avg), outside thermometer on north side of a shed currently reading 30.8

This time of year here in Asia, I go on a bike ride as soon as it gets lightish which, at the mo, is about 530am. Does mean the roads a quieter and it's not as hot.

Some of you could try that. It does work.

When my fingers are frozen here in mid-winter, I often remember how great cycling was in HK Nov to March ... killer in summer though with the humidity :wacko:

I love the heat, just as well as I've spent a large percentage of my adult working life in the Middle East, the Far East and Australia.
I cover myself (redhead and freckles) which, in effect, means you carry your own shady place around with you, wear a brimmed hat and sunglasses and otherwise just submit to it. Can't do anything about it, no use fighting it, only gets you hot and bothered.

I went out on my bike this morning for a couple of hours, got back at 11am. It was delightful on the wooded cycle paths around my home. It's now 28deg and feels very humid - it had rained a little overnight, I was surprised to see when I went outside at 9am.

Of course, the heat here is nothing abnormal for large parts of the world which appear to function perfectly well without all the hysteria about 'red warnings' but given that neither our society nor its facilities are built for extremes of temperature - cold or hot - I'm not sure what can be done about people who behave irresponsibly in the heat, or those who try to carry on as normal in it - or those who insist that others carry on as normal. It's not normal for us and shouldn't be treated as such.

In a society such as ours, the frail and vulnerable who simply don't/can't understand how dangerous both heat and cold can be, should be actively protected and I really don't know what can be done there.

I think it was in the heatwave or 2017 when I was on a bus going to a local town. An elderly lady got onto the bus and she was quite clearly not well; she had on a skirt and tights, and thick shoes, a top, a cardigan and over that a jacket and she wore an old-fashioned headscarf too. I bet she had on a vest and bra and knickers too! A young British Asian woman sat opposite to me; we looked at each other, spoke together and were both very concerned about her. I encouraged her to slip her jacket off then the young woman gave her a bottle of water which was still partly frozen, and told her to hold it against her neck, then have a sip of it, while I went up front to have a word with the driver. Fortunately he knew her, she was a regular on the bus and he always watched out for her daughter when he got to her stop. He said he’d have a word with her. Otherwise we had planned to stay on the bus, get off with her and take her somewhere cool and safe, if necessary to hospital in a taxi. We need to have an urgent think about what to do about incidences like that …

I love the heat, just as well as I've spent a large percentage of my adult working life in the Middle East, the Far East and Australia.
I cover myself (redhead and freckles) which, in effect, means you carry your own shady place around with you, wear a brimmed hat and sunglasses and otherwise just submit to it. Can't do anything about it, no use fighting it, only gets you hot and bothered.

I went out on my bike this morning for a couple of hours, got back at 11am. It was delightful on the wooded cycle paths around my home. It's now 28deg and feels very humid - it had rained a little overnight, I was surprised to see when I went outside at 9am.

Of course, the heat here is nothing abnormal for large parts of the world which appear to function perfectly well without all the hysteria about 'red warnings' but given that neither our society nor its facilities are built for extremes of temperature - cold or hot - I'm not sure what can be done about people who behave irresponsibly in the heat, or those who try to carry on as normal in it - or those who insist that others carry on as normal. It's not normal for us and shouldn't be treated as such.

In a society such as ours, the frail and vulnerable who simply don't/can't understand how dangerous both heat and cold can be, should be actively protected and I really don't know what can be done there.

I think it was in the heatwave or 2017 when I was on a bus going to a local town. An elderly lady got onto the bus and she was quite clearly not well; she had on a skirt and tights, and thick shoes, a top, a cardigan and over that a jacket and she wore an old-fashioned headscarf too. I bet she had on a vest and bra and knickers too! A young British Asian woman sat opposite to me; we looked at each other, spoke together and were both very concerned about her. I encouraged her to slip her jacket off then the young woman gave her a bottle of water which was still partly frozen, and told her to hold it against her neck, then have a sip of it, while I went up front to have a word with the driver. Fortunately he knew her, she was a regular on the bus and he always watched out for her daughter when he got to her stop. He said he’d have a word with her. Otherwise we had planned to stay on the bus, get off with her and take her somewhere cool and safe, if necessary to hospital in a taxi. We need to have an urgent think about what to do about incidences like that …

It's for people like these that they put out these warnings.
But you can't make people take notice of them.

Usually we do 100k or so on a Sunday. We left two hours earlier to avoid the worst of the heat. A sensible call.

Mike_P

Guru
Those countries with hotter climates automatically take hot temperatures into account with greater use of air conditioning, railway tracks laid to cope (4 x the cost) and polymers and binding agents added to tarmac to better resist melting (more cost)

classic33

Leg End Member
Those countries with hotter climates automatically take hot temperatures into account with greater use of air conditioning, railway tracks laid to cope (4 x the cost) and polymers and binding agents added to tarmac to better resist melting (more cost)
Then they've to cope with the colder weather, the wetter weather, snow(When we get it).
I can't say I've seen concrete sleepers expand that much it can be seen by the untrained eye. But the claims are made that they do.

Top Bottom