Are bib shorts really more comfortable than normal shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I've never even considered bib shorts. I find regular padded bike shorts to be just fine. Some offer a better pad than others but I assume that is the case with any short or bib short. Frankly I'd probably find the shoulder straps sort of "confining" or restricting. I tend to be a less is more person. On occassion I will have the issue of a smaller shirt riding up and showing parts that I'd rather keep hidden. But if I keep riding and watch my diet, I hope that will be come less and less of a problem. Sticking with regular shorts.

vickster

Legendary Member
I wear bib shorts.
I used to wear shorts, with braces and tights over them in winter.... with braces .....
2 pairs of braces .............
Bib shorts and tights are the best .....
My bib shorts and tights come from the Planet X Clubman range .... £24.99 and £29.99 .....
Top Quality Kit !!^_^
All sold out however. Sounds like the OP is shopping now
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXCLBS/planet-x-clubman-light-bib-shorts

they do have these though (add postage / return costs)
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXP3BS/planet-x-pro-line-365x-bib-shorts
or with 30pc off but no small
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLPXUNBS/planet-x-union-bib-short

Last edited:

Binka

Über Member
I’ve got Endura non bib Xtract shorts which I think are the 400 pad and they’re ok for rides of about 2 hours but then I’m feeling the saddle more.

have just bought some Assos shorts and also 3/4 assos bib “knickers“ and the pad on these seems better than the Endura ones. I wore the bib knickers for the first time the other day, felt ok. I’ve never had an issue with non bib shorts though. However these bib knickers are more of an autumn/spring item and I’m thinking the warmer lower back in colder weather will be good.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I used to wear the old style (not lycra) waist shorts with braces and a chamois leather 'pad'
How did we do without gel back then?

YellowV2

Veteran
Yes!

PK99

Legendary Member
Bib shorts are just ordinary shorts with shoulder straps (or ordinary shorts are just bib shorts with the straps cut off if you want to do it that way). If you look at shorts made by the same manufacturer, the actual "short" bit with the padding in will be identical for the same model in both varieties.

Bib shorts "should" move around less, but I've always found I get more discomfort from the straps cutting in to my shoulders. But then I have an oddly proportioned body and many things that fit me in one dimension don't in the others. I'll stick to regular shorts for now...

Not so.

Ordinary shorts are held up by the elasticated waistband which perforce is tighter than bib shorts which do not have an elasticated waistband.

I have only ever had normal shorts and I was wondering whether it would be worth investing in good quality bib shorts or is there not much of a difference between bib shorts and normal shorts?

Are your normal shorts ok? If so, just use them and if/when you wear them out, think about what next to buy. Cycling can be cheap and easy, unless you want it to be difficult.

Top Bottom