Are birds dinosaurs? Discuss

Are birds dinosaurs?

• Yes

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
I can’t stand dinosaurs, they terrify me. Jurassic Park the ultimate horror film :wacko:
The vulture is cute in a may have evolved from those scary-wary dinosaurs way!

the stupid one

Über Member
I grew up obsessed with dinosaurs (because I was a human child), well before they were recognised as the ancestors of birds. But now I know it, it's so bleeding obvious.
View attachment 416230

It is though, isn't it? ^_^

Old jon

Guru
IMG_0255.jpg

I always wondered what the parents thought . . .

But I reckon this is more dinosaur than bird.

Tin Pot

Guru
Apparently there is a deep hunger to discuss this.... So, go for it in it's own thread..

adding that - no they are not. Dinosaurs were exothermic reptiles of the class dinosauria, while birds are endothermic creatures of the class Aves. Yes, there would have been creatures who would not fit into either class, but they are long extinct.

Dinosaurs are a ridiculous idea, the huge bones are just the result of some hitherforto unknown geological purpose. They are bones of birds. Small birds.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Birds are the least evolved animals since dinosaurs, it's a well-known fact. So when you sit down to eat a roast chicken you are actually eating a small dinosaur.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
It takes a bit of a leap to see (e.g.) a hummingbird as a dino, but hey, that's evolution for ya!

male-broad-billed-hummingbird-verne-lehmberg-620.jpg

Birds are not dinosaurs. Birds and one branch of dinosaurs shared a common ancestor before about 167 million years ago. At this point the phylogenetic tree branches and they take their respective paths.
I'm still obsessed with dinosaurs (and as a biologist, I'm allowed to be even though I am over the age of 5!)

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Apparently there is a deep hunger to discuss this.... So, go for it in it's own thread..

adding that - no they are not. Dinosaurs were exothermic reptiles of the class dinosauria, while birds are endothermic creatures of the class Aves. Yes, there would have been creatures who would not fit into either class, but they are long extinct.

Dinosaurs weren't reptiles , they were a separate genus (?)
And the whole exothermic has come under serious doubt in recent years.

classic33

Leg End Member
Given that birds were around when the mass extinction took place, why aren't they dinosaurs. They just happenned to survive.

As for feathers, it was in the 1840's that they were first proposed.

Top Bottom