Are birds dinosaurs? Discuss

Are birds dinosaurs?

• Yes

Votes: 26 65.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 35.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Current scientific opinion seems to be at variance with yours.
Or you don't understand evolution.
Current scientific thinking would suggest that birds are more closely related to dinosaurs than originally thought. It's not the same as actually being a dinosaur.
It's like saying humans are monkeys. We are not. Humans and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor

classic33

Leg End Member
Current scientific thinking would suggest that birds are more closely related to dinosaurs than originally thought. It's not the same as actually being a dinosaur.
It's like saying humans are monkeys. We are not. Humans and monkeys evolved from a common ancestor
So what exactly was a dinosaur?

What made one species a dinosaur and another, there at the same time, not a dinosaur?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Spielberg tells the truth
Vraptor-scale.png

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Wikipedia is not a definitive source.
Agreed, but it is generally fairly accurate. Nowadays contentious and unreferenced statements are flagged. In this case three separate wiki pages all agree.

swansonj

Guru
Way back in the midst of time (possibly yesterday), I said that whether birds are dinosaurs is a matter of arbitrary definition. I stick by that and you have reinforced it: because whether humans are monkeys is surely also a matter of definition.

In that case, definitions have become relatively settled, (and the political motivations of certain definitions are more obvious). In the case of dinosaurs, this thread has demonstrated that the definitions are not universally agreed, so it seems to me rather futile to pretend they are, one way or the other.

Anyone want to start a poll on whether marmalade is jam or not?

PS if anyone thinks this is just idle chit chat, think again: the assigning of things to categories is a deeply political act because of the way it then affects our perceptions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tim Hall

What about crocodiles? Can they fly?
I read a story, possibly by Ray Bradbury, where Mad Scientists mend the hole in the crocodile heart (they have a three chambered heart, so oxygenated and deoxygenated blood gets mixed up). The new improved crocodile escaped, giving rise to a flying terrifying race of monsters. Or dragons.

I read a story, possibly by Ray Bradbury, where Mad Scientists mend the hole in the crocodile heart (they have a three chambered heart, so oxygenated and deoxygenated blood gets mixed up). The new improved crocodile escaped, giving rise to a flying terrifying race of monsters. Or dragons.
I read that. Loved it. I don't think it was Bradbury, but I was a Bradbury completest so maybe ...

Edit: found it!

Top Bottom