Are cats sickly little beasts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I demand you smush your face into Simba's belly and blow raspberries. It will be worth the clawing, I assure you.

He's a Ragdoll, it won't happen. Big softie he is. If playing with them, Simba and Luna (the grey one) don't get the claws out as they came as 'twins'. Kyoto, the younger dark faced/socks white one (younger sister, same parents), gets the claws out, as does Leo the ninja...

Raggies are well 'chilled' by cat standards.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
…I have come across cat owners that don't get it and keep them locked up. It really is not fair and you often see them at the window while dogs seldom do that.
All of the kitties that have lived with us were rescued from certain euthanization. Once you take them home to live with you in a major city, letting them run around outside is a death sentence. Call it unfair if you like, but you're not in our shoes, so perhaps don’t criticize so quickly. Our kitties have all lived long, happy lives with plenty of interaction with our other kitties and us. They enjoy their “locked up” lives as you call them. So do we. We all enjoyed living in the country more, but life sometimes brings changes you just have to roll with. Our cats have an outside-window patio. We wish WE did. But we all manage. 🙂🐱🙂🐱

Mike_P

Guru
As you say there are plenty of smallish dogs with character - jack russells are great.
Aside from having that annoying habit of small dogs, chasing cyclists. The last such rat I encountered forced me to stop at the foot of steep hill and it very nearly got booted across the road:evil:

Hah, this old boy of mine had a reputation for terrorizing the neighbourhood dogs. The smaller the dog, the less he liked it. He even beat up the Mayor's little terrier thing at the pet service in Ely Cathedral. Toby was like "oooooooh, small dog, I absolutely MUST shred it." :blush:

IMG_9400_small.jpg

All of the kitties that have lived with us were rescued from certain euthanization. Once you take them home to live with you in a major city, letting them run around outside is a death sentence. Call it unfair if you like, but you're not in our shoes, so perhaps don’t criticize so quickly. Our kitties have all lived long, happy lives with plenty of interaction with our other kitties and us. They enjoy their “locked up” lives as you call them. So do we. We all enjoyed living in the country more, but life sometimes brings changes you just have to roll with. Our cats have an outside-window patio. We wish WE did. But we all manage. 🙂🐱🙂🐱

The girls have several acres of garden and woodland to run around in, but they actually prefer to spend most of their time indoors. In fact, Poppy generally doesn't tend to go outside at all between mid-September and May. :laugh:

Toby, the black boy in my previous post, was an indoor cat when I first had him, as I was living in a very urban area that backed out onto a very busy road. I couldn't cat proof the garden, but he was happy indoors as long as we had a daily constitutional to the local park. I trained Toby to walk on a lead like a dog - he was brilliant at it, and would sit on the kerb whenever we had to wait to cross the road.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was in my neighbour's flat the other week, when her 'house cat' walked by. My mutt didn't seem to be fazed being in the presence of a cat and just watched it walk by.

He also had a nibble of those cat biscuits in the picture and had a drink out of the cat's water fountain. The fountain is a little device that constantly filters the water..or something like that. She does pamper her cat, but is it right that it can't do cat things,like 'play out'? She says it sits in the window watching birds and other cats. I suppose what it's never had it won't miss.🤔

Last edited:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
The girls have several acres of garden and woodland to run around in, but they actually prefer to spend most of their time indoors. In fact, Poppy generally doesn't tend to go outside at all between mid-September and May. :laugh:

Toby, the black boy in my previous post, was an indoor cat when I first had him, as I was living in a very urban area that backed out onto a very busy road. I couldn't cat proof the garden, but he was happy indoors as long as we had a daily constitutional to the local park. I trained Toby to walk on a lead like a dog - he was brilliant at it, and would sit on the kerb whenever we had to wait to cross the road.
Beautiful pic of Toby! When we lived out in the open country of OKlahoma, Charlie was our # 1 wide-roaming kitty. Our home was on 1.25 acres of land, but Charlie went both over and under our fence to roam cow pastures nearby. Thankfully he never took on Copperheads that we know of, or was in battle with the coyotes, but I’m sure he made quick business of field mice. Here’s a pic of Charlie in our large fenced yard in his younger days.

1E630A12-9591-4BAD-9C52-E15FC539DB8C.jpeg

7F92C627-9E8B-4110-9DD3-C46258AE9036.jpeg

Charlie's history: Charlie must have started kittenhood with people, but at around 3 months old somehow roamed too far and wound up being found shivering in the corner of someone’s open garage, very cold and very hungry. From a shelter he wound up with us soon. Made the move with us to Maryland around 7 years ago. Now he’s our elder kitty at 17 years old, happy to share his old age with 14 yr old Benny. They’re quite the pair of buddies. 😺 🐱

FAC2F862-3C9C-4599-9B30-D6A8AAEA30A1.jpeg

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Don't you think that dogs are less complicated? Doesn't a cat pissing in your headphones lose it's charm after a while?

When we had a cat she pissed in my headphones too, I didn't find it very charming either. She also pissed on a cassette deck of mine too. She was getting old and coming towards the end when she started pissing in all sorts of places and when she did it I suppose it was my own fault for leaving them lying around and accessible for pissing on.

fossyant

There i was in my neighbour's flat the other week, when her 'house cat' walked by. My mutt didn't seem to be fazed being in the presence of a cat and just watched it walk by.

View attachment 604360

View attachment 604361

View attachment 604362

View attachment 604364

View attachment 604365

He also had a nibble of those cat biscuits in the picture and had a drink out of the cat's water fountain. The fountain is a little device that constantly filters the water..or something like that. She does pamper her cat, but is it right that it can't do cat things,like 'play out'? She says it sits in the window watching birds and other cats. I suppose what it's never had it won't miss.🤔

Looks like a Ragdoll. We've got a water fountain, mainly as one of the cats likes drinking from taps, so she has her own now (also she eats mainly dry food given the choice)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Looks like a Ragdoll. We've got a water fountain, mainly as one of the cats likes drinking from taps, so she has her own now (also she eats mainly dry food given the choice)
I've just looked that one up to see what a Ragdoll is. :smile: She (neighbour) had three of them at one stage. Two were old and had to be taken to the vet to be you know what. She looked after them well and was very upset when two passed away.

Last edited:

fossyant

I've just looked that one up to see what a Ragdoll is. :smile: She (neighbour) had three of them at one stage. Two were old and had to be taken to the vet to be you know what. She looked after them well and was very upset when two passed away.

Three of my four are Ragdolls - look a couple of pages earlier. Think they are over £1k at the moment for a ruddy cat. We didn't pay that. We've two white and grey ones, and a grey and white one (think a negative).

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Three of my four are Ragdolls - look a couple of pages earlier. Think they are over £1k at the moment for a ruddy cat. We didn't pay that. We've two white and grey ones, and a grey and white one (think a negative).
I knew a bloke who looked after his daughter's seven :ohmy: cats while she went on holiday. They were those without hair on their bodies. He told me they were around £1000 each and his daughter gave instructions to feed each of them different diets as they were very fussy. He also said they drove him crazy, climbing the curtains, trying to get out the house, knocking ornaments off etc. :wacko:

Ah, it depends whether you are buying show quality or pet quality, and also whether any show quality kittens are on the active breeding register or not.

Price also depends on the breed, and whether that breed has variants or not, due to outcrossing programmes etc.

Top Bottom