Are co2 inflators the way to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi. I was having a walk around my local lidl shop yesterday when I spotted some co2 inflators selling for £3.99. It got me thinking as to whether I should ditch the mini pump ( which isn't that fantastic) and carry a co2 inflator instead. I've never used one before and was just wondering are they a worthy reliable replacement to the bike mini pump.
All the very best,
Johnny.

Drago

Legendary Member
No. Their production and distribution is bad for the environment, and the caplets can't be recycled easily. It's the bicycle tyre inflating equivalent of a baby wipe - oh so convenient, but oh so wrong.

Brandane

Legendary Member
They're useful if you're in a hurry to inflate a tyre after a puncture, but they are not a replacement for a pump, IMHO..
Problem with CO2 cylinders is - you don't know when you set off, how many punctures you are going to have. None? 1? 5?
Once used, a CO2 cylinder is useless, whereas a pump will go on and on.
I used to carry both, but then figured it was a bit pointless as I'm not in a hurry when I cycle, so ditched the CO2 and just carry a pump now. It helps if it's a good, reliable pump of course. I like Lezyne pumps.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
HR_HPX_Black.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How do you determine the pressure obtained with a C02 canister?

Meaning ...if I want 90-100psi how do I do this? Is this "one canisters worth"?
For a 23 or 25 tyre yes, one canister worth gets the tyre up to about 90-100.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Depends on your ride really,I bring 3 co2 canisters on the commute,19 miles each way,If I got 4 punctures over this distance,the bike would be thrown over the nearest ditch id say.
If on a wkend ride,I or someone on the ride would have a pump along with Co2 cartridges,The Co2 would be used first.
Co2 has made the commute a lot easier because now I dont mind changing the tyre and then inflating it in seconds as opposed to using a mini pump and struggling to get the tyre up to a decent enough pressure*

*pump may have been crap but was a decent enough leznye one

This year on my commutes I have stopped for 3 people who found their pumps were knackered, ( not used for long time and not checked) 2 borrowed my pump, the 3rd I was in a hurry and sold him a cylinder. I haven't stopped for anyone who had a knackered cylinder. I carry both on my commute just in case. Both my CX and MTB are tubeless so have to carry cylinders anyway. Find them brilliant, use the pump when I have time and want to save some money.

Top Bottom