Are co2 inflators the way to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
remove wheel / unseat tyre / find hole/ remove object causing hole/ [repair tube if no spare] / [remove tube if have spare and replace] / reseat tyre / refit wheel / inflate tube
remove wheel /
unseat tyre / and remove tube
find hole in tube
* pump up tube to find hole
* match site of puncture on tube with tyre
* find object causing hole
/ remove object causing hole
/ replace tube if have spare
* couple of pumps of air into tube (to ease fitting)
/ reseat tyre
/ refit wheel
* inflate 10 pumps and check bead is seated all round
/ inflate tube
How many instances of needing a pump can you see above? Perhaps a CO2 inflator could do all this.

screenman

Legendary Member
Pull tube out, go around inside of tyre with mutton cloth, remove sharp object if there is one, replace tube properly and inflate with CO2, repair tube at home in comfort. That has worked for me since CO2 first come about for inflating tubes. It is as you may guess not about how much I could save, certainly not about weight or style, just about what I like doing, simple as that.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have only ever used then as an emergency inflate and never had an issue, pressure wise they are good enough to get you home or to where ever your going, so yes they are the way to go.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I received my comeuppence yesterday for too much puncture and pumping discussion. First puncture in 5000km (at about 100k into a 300). V sharp thorn straight through front tyre, but trusty pump (described up thread) on hand and replacement tube pumped 120 times (which I know gets it to at least the required 80psi). And jumped into a passing group for the headwind ride south (to Amesbury).

Top Bottom