Are co2 inflators the way to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
How long before someone starts selling Carbon Trioxide (CO3) cartridges? :laugh:

Or on a slightly more serious point, selling nitrogen cartridges - after all, if it's "better" for car tyres, it has to be better for bicycles doesn't it?
They're out there, already. However..
Carbon Trioxide exists as a gas, but it is highly unstable. Formed by electrical arcs in a mizture of carbon dioxide and oxygen, or by passing ozone (O3) across dry ice; CO3 breaks down into carbon dioxide and oxygen in less than sixty seconds at standard temperature and pressure, meaning that it has little to no industrial or comercial use.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
A couple of the tyre fitting companies made a big deal about using nitrogen to inflate the new tyres they fit - I think one of them might even have been charging a small premium for it too. Something to do with the molecules...

Yes charging more. All it bills down to is nitrogen takes longer to lose pressure on the tyres and is less susceptible to temperature changes.

Cost v benefit not worth it in the real world.

screenman

Legendary Member
It gets me all this environmental stuff written by people sitting there using electricity to power their computers.

Drago

Legendary Member
Or magic electricity from our 5kW solar installations.

Just by existing, breathing and eating we have an environmental impact. The fact that we all consume, is not a valid justification to be used by those who want to consume rampantly and needlessly. Consumption has consequences, and the thoughtful think about that and minimise their consumption - those that make the effort should be applauded, not derided.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
What do you power yours with?
computer-copy1.jpg

Lonestar

Veteran
Mini pump for me yesterday as someone has buggered up the track pump at work.

I also carry Tyreweld and it's got me out of trouble twice.

Just checked and yes I carry two different mini pumps.I had a pump disintegrate on me once and ended up walking two and a half miles home.

Last edited:

GravityFighter

Über Member
I had this very issue yesterday. First roadside puncture in two years. reach for my trusty (or so I thought) Bontrager AirRush dispense and CO2 cartridge. Trouble was the nut on the valve of the dispenser had seized / broken, meaning the cartridges were of precisely sod all use!

Luckily it also doubles-up as a mini pump, so I managed to get enough air into the new tube to nurse the bike 4 miles home. Glad I wasn't a long way out, as I'd have had to keep refilling the tyre or find another answer.

Lesson: always check your equipment! I'm now in the market for a better standalone mini-pump and doubt I'll rely on CO2 again.

Top Bottom