Are co2 inflators the way to go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Depends on your ride really,I bring 3 co2 canisters on the commute,19 miles each way,If I got 4 punctures over this distance,the bike would be thrown over the nearest ditch id say.
If on a wkend ride,I or someone on the ride would have a pump along with Co2 cartridges,The Co2 would be used first.
Co2 has made the commute a lot easier because now I dont mind changing the tyre and then inflating it in seconds as opposed to using a mini pump and struggling to get the tyre up to a decent enough pressure*

Great that you share the CO2 amongst the group.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Why is it that no-one seems to carry a proper full-sized frame pump any more? At one time every bike apart from an out and out racer, would have a pump permanently attached.
It's more difficult with a compact frame, especially now that monocoque frames have curved profiles where the tubes "Join", as it were.

Also back in the day few people bothered with a bottle cage on the seat tube which was the ideal place to secure a pump. Decent mini pumps do a good job these days (I said decent, not something you picked up in the pound shop), getting a good riding pressure without too much effort.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have just bought 2 mini pumps, one for each of my 'Nice' road bikes that have previously had CO2 cartridges. The main reason for the change was my recent century failure at 94 miles; I decided carrying a proper pump and having the ability to fix multiple flats was the way to forward :okay:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I have just bought 2 mini pumps, one for each of my 'Nice' road bikes that have previously had CO2 cartridges. The main reason for the change was my recent century failure at 94 miles; I decided carrying a proper pump and having the ability to fix multiple flats was the way to forward :okay:
Oh good grief. I bet that was frustrating. In my eyes though you still did the magic century and a big well done to you !!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why is it that no-one seems to carry a proper full-sized frame pump any more?
Because there is a range of excellent short pumps made nowadays which will satisfy the emergency need to inflate a replaced tube to a satisfactory pressure. The very smallest can fit in a back pocket; otherwise clipped to a fitting onto the bottle cage braze-ons is convenient and out of the way. All in all: better.
If a pump doesn't deliver the required pressure, get one that does. Is the time difference between using a CO2 cylinder (waste and expense) and an effective pump really important to recreational riders? I can see that on a commute, the saving of time would be 'worth it'.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can't understand why you wouldn't want to use a proper pump - a one off expense which can be re-use zillions of times and also used on other things like a wheelbarrow or my nephew's football.

Mind you, I once seen a woman riding with a track pump sticking out of her rucksack which seems a triple OTT for an occasional puncture.

froze

Über Member
I'm going to echo some of the others here. CO2 is a waste of money for anyone who isn't racing and responsible for fixing their own flats during a race, plain and simple. CO2 cost money to buy, you the have to dispose of spent carts (of course dopes in the States simply toss the carts on the side of the road but I digress), you have to remember to replace the used carts with the new ones before a ride or buy more after experiencing a flat, CO2 air leaks (or bleeds through the tube) out faster then normal air which means once you get home after using CO2 you have to completely drain the tube and refill with pump air which seems like a waste of time to me, with CO2 you have a limited air supply which means it's possible you could run out of air if you have more than two flats (assuming you're carrying 2 CO2 carts), the bigger the tire the less air you'll be able to get in (so much less it may not even be rideable), some people have blown tubes with CO2 going in too fast in road tires; CO2 works great though with tubeless tires though you should use a pump once the bead is seated. Pump air is free, yes it takes longer so what? remember what I said though about CO2 air and having to drain and refill plus the time it takes to go to a store to buy more, so really you're wasting more time with CO2's.

Most mini pumps are a joke however, their advertisements will lead you to believe they can pump up to 160 psi which no mini pump I've ever used ever got close to that level, however most won't even get to 75 which for some people may be to low, for others it will get you home so you have cut your ride short and go home...I HATE stuff that works like that, I want to continue to my ride damn it. So I've only found a few pumps in the States that will get to 110 psi that use in my tires, and the best one I've found is the Lezyne Road Drive long, not the short or the medium version. There are other ones that I have will reach my desired limit but the Lezyne works the best with the least amount of effort from any mini. I think Europe has some pumps like the Birzman. The long version Lezyne takes about 250 strokes to get to 110 psi, which seems like a lot strokes but the Topeak Race Rocket HP (which it the best one that Topeak has for road bikes) takes about 320 strokes to get to 110 and a lot more muscle effort is needed when you get above 90 psi. I've read that the Birzman Velocity Road mini pump will get to 100 plus but I haven't used one to confirm that. Topeak does make a pump called the Road Morph G but while it works really good it's large and ungainly looking plus the mounting system sucks. If you were going to go with something as large as the Topeak Road Morph you might as well go with a full frame pump and get the Zefal HPX it will work better than the Topeak plus the mounting system is superior and you can use it beat dogs with if needed.

IF for some reason you get sold on CO2 at least get a hybrid CO2 system, this pump is both a CO2 inflator and a mini pump so in case you run out of CO2 air you can pump, or you start a tire with the pump and finish with CO2.

Top Bottom