Are cyclists generally worse right now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
There are an awful lot of new and returning riders on the roads, paths (and footpaths) at the moment. The lack of experience, awareness and expertise is obvious.

Bike shops have found business booming bringing back to life bikes that have been languishing in sheds and garages for years. At my local LBS they are running an appointment system both to help with social distancing, but also to help manage the flow of work.
Dooleys I assume? I quite often cycle home from work via Paisley and can see quite a que forming at times but I used the one further up, Q bikes for a repair as my usual LBS is NHS only and couldn't praise the guy highly enough. I was thinking about going to this guy full time after the lockdown, but he reckons he's seen over 40 new customers since all this started.

I mean, you're in the UK...

Aussie beer is great. Our craft beer scene is ahead of the UK by years.
First Aussie I have ever known say that, the ones I know prefer the Kiwi craft beer :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I got shouted at rudely by a male cyclist in Richmond. I crossed a T junction as he approached from my left on a one-way road. He was in the right lane so I crossed well ahead of him to the island then crossed his left lane, only to realise that he had changed lanes and was heading for me, swerving around me and calling me a rude name. With arrogance like that it's no wonder people hate cyclists.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not sure ifncyclists have got worse, or it people who haven't ridden for aeons and who are thus very deskilled have dusted off their bikes for a jolly. Nearly got wiped out yesterday by some lardy myopic chump on an MTB who managed to avoid having a coronary long enough to ride of of a junction in front of me without even looking. It's only my superiors skills training and ninja like reactions that saved him from a journey in an ambulance.

The real scary ones are the parents shepherding kids. On the one hand its lovely to see, on the other their own road craft is woeful, but when shepherding children on the highway its dangerously tragic.

Mike_P

Guru
Complete idiot encountered this morning whilst driving to Waitrose, was he going left, was he going straight on, was he going right, absolutely no lane discipline and then straight through on red, on the pavement, back on the road and straight through another red; ,pulled alongside and told him he was a ***** idiot:cursing:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My biggest worry round here (narrow country lanes) is not so much cyclists, who seem good, (the ones I've seen) but the drivers. So many seem to think that with, fairly, empty roads they can be rally drivers using the full width of the road.
I've limited myself to my Aldi turbo as even after 50 years of cycling I can't say I would feel to safe out there.

... but the drivers. So many seem to think that with, fairly, empty roads they can be rally drivers using the full width of the road.
I've limited myself to my Aldi turbo as even after 50 years of cycling I can't say I would feel to safe out there.
Was that the 5-cylinder engine? Amazing car! Endless grip, and kinda cool looking :notworthy:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Was that the 5-cylinder engine? Amazing car! Endless grip, and kinda cool looking :notworthy:
Aldi not Audi.

Cheap but does give a workout.

I must admit to having done a fair bit of fake dry coughing any time I've gone out.

There's a tiny country road nearby that leads up to a reservoir. I think I'd previously seen three or four people there in my entire life, the last time I was out I must have seen 100 people easily in the space of 20 minutes. Idiots.

I of course am beyond reproach in this matter :laugh:

I agree with what you say. It's like when I go to Venice and the place is ruined for me with all those tourists.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I agree with what you say. It's like when I go to Venice and the place is ruined for me with all those tourists.
Yup, we can criticise all we like, but even if we feel we're different because we have been cycling B.C. (Before Coronavirus), we are still part of the problem as far as non cyclists concerned.

I used to make cycle trails part of one of my circuits when I was out, but recently they have been heaving with joggers, walkers, family groups, new cyclists with kids on bikes, dogs etc. They are perfectly entitled and I welcome this but many are so unaware of their surroundings that it's difficult to keep social distancing and make any sort of smooth progress.

So I tend to stick to the roads for the present. Most of the cyclists I see on the roads are going the other way, or overtaking me. I don't overtake many! The other day I came across a bunch of yoofs on generic mountain bikes coming the other way. It was hard to visualise them as a family group, they looked like they came from a local estate, on their way to a local beauty spot by the river. Giving cyclists a bad name! We have to assume that the majority of people are sticking to the guidelines.

I try not to look like a cyclist, and haven't had any real problems with traffic. No 2 wheeled red light jumpers seen. But I have the good fortune not to live in London or any other large city. It's a difficult balance between being unobtrusive enough so that you don't make other road users have to change speed and direction, and being assertive enough so that you get noticed and not wiped out by some distracted driver. Of course there will always be the pillock who drives around like Mr Angry with his hair on fire, hopefully you will hear him coming, and try not to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have seen the occasional speedy driver but they are giving me plenty of room so far. I haven't yet retreated to my turbo trainer like guitarpete247 but who knows what another day might bring?

Top Bottom