Are cyclists generally worse right now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've just scolded my 90 y.o. Mum because she said "We get lots of cyclists coming through at weekends and at the junction at the end they're terrible, they wait in a big group and hold you up and assert the road...."

The gist of my scolding was that they have the same right to use the road as she does. But I know she whines about cyclists to her friends, same as she whines about almost everything. That's how bad news and gossip get spread.

Slick

Guru
I've just scolded my 90 y.o. Mum because she said "We get lots of cyclists coming through at weekends and at the junction at the end they're terrible, they wait in a big group and hold you up and assert the road...."

The gist of my scolding was that they have the same right to use the road as she does. But I know she whines about cyclists to her friends, same as she whines about almost everything. That's how bad news and gossip get spread.
I reckon at 90 she has earned the right to gossip as much as she like. :okay:

JPBoothy

Veteran
You don't know my Mum, she has gossipped relentlessly all her life, sometimes getting herself in trouble when people hear what she's gossipping about them!
Yes, I have one of those too.. My mum has sadly gone completely blind in the last 10yrs but, will often shout out from her wheelchair whilst we are queuing at the Supermarket checkout "what's the hold up, this is ridiculous".. To make it worse people don't know she is blind and just think she is rude.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
See above.

The UK globally has a shocking reputation for beer, which I now know differently having lived here for a couple of years. Point is, reputation means jack unless you have a good supply. I've found about 2 of the beers that I would regularly drink in Aus here.

Majority of Aussie beers are excellent.

Whilst I would strongly argue that (good) British beer is amongst the finest in the world ( OK I'll concede top-spot to the Belgians), the decent stuff is cask-conditioned real ale which by its nature has to be served in a pub. Thus, it isn't realistically exportable, so unless you visit the UK, you'll not evensample the good stuff. And even the oft' exquisite real-ales are overshadowed by the truly vile mass market beers, whether so-say keg bitter, or the even-worse horrid lagers with pretend European or Australian provenance - but all made out of horse piss in a big factory in Reading.

OK there are IPAs and so-called craft beers such which are bottled, but these are a minority thing, and to be honest I don't much care for the citrus-flavoured of much of it.

The Belgian tradition is much more on bottled beer, which can easily be exported, so they get more exposure worldwide - and of course, their bottled Abbey or Trappiste beers in particular are amazing.

OP
OP
A

Aussie Rider in London

Whilst I would strongly argue that (good) British beer is amongst the finest in the world ( OK I'll concede top-spot to the Belgians), the decent stuff is cask-conditioned real ale which by its nature has to be served in a pub. Thus, it isn't realistically exportable, so unless you visit the UK, you'll not evensample the good stuff. And even the oft' exquisite real-ales are overshadowed by the truly vile mass market beers, whether so-say keg bitter, or the even-worse horrid lagers with pretend European or Australian provenance - but all made out of horse piss in a big factory in Reading.

OK there are IPAs and so-called craft beers such which are bottled, but these are a minority thing, and to be honest I don't much care for the citrus-flavoured of much of it.

The Belgian tradition is much more on bottled beer, which can easily be exported, so they get more exposure worldwide - and of course, their bottled Abbey or Trappiste beers in particular are amazing.

Agree with that.

The hang-up I had about real ales was the exact stereotypical one that you'd expect, that it was warm beer.

At the start, didn't like the stuff because I was expecting it to be something it wasn't. When I started to appreciate what it was, and the varying flavour characteristics, I started enjoying it.

Different beers suit different occasions.

Except the Belgians, they suit every occasion.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
The big beer factory in Reading cliosed 10 years ago.

We'll have to be thankful for small mercies

Top Bottom