Are cyclists generally worse right now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

a.twiddler

Veteran
You could be wearing nowt and someone will find reason to have a go at you.
I can only quote Spike Milligan when he said, "Naked, I invite burial". To see my wrinkly old carcass on a bike might invite screams of horror and a very wide pass indeed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Who cares what the Daily Mail and their readership think of me? I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me, and certainly not those brain donors, and the day I start modifying my behaviour to suit those that I neither know or care about is a long way off. If I want to wear lycra, a suit of armour, mankini or sequined ball gown while cycling then I ruddy well will, and screw anyone that doesn't like it.

Christ, that's the sort of mindset that has people buying cars they can't afford with money they don't have to impress people they don't know. I live my life to suit me and those I love and care about, and anyone that doesn't like that can go and fornicate themselves. It's just a shame the rest of the world doesn't have the stones to do the same.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member
How do you know he was a car owner, I have known of plenty of so called experienced cyclist who are complete peanuts with no regard for others.
In my experience regular cyclists are familiar with coming across people on towpaths and either just ring their bell or speak to them politely.

a.twiddler

Veteran
So we agree then. I wear what suits me. You wear what suits you. What the Wail and its ilk thinks is irrelevant, it has many minorities to demonise and when it gets bored with cyclists it will just supply something else from its menu to feed its readership of haters. Some people don't need encouragement from anyone to disrespect the vulnerable. It has been my observation that you just might reduce the incidence of unwelcome attention from this type of person by wearing "ordinary" clothes and as a generally solitary cyclist I haven't really had anything to report. It may just be because of where I live. But my reason for wearing what I wear is because it works, not to please other people, even Drago, although I actually agree with a lot of what he says.

My adult cycling career began in a small rural Welsh village where I bought a bike so I could go to the pub without driving. Nobody I knew rode a bike. It just grew from there. I suppose I became an eccentric beardy cyclist, experimenting with luggage systems, trailers etc and cycling miles. It led to club membership (miles away), CTC, YHA. I have lived in darkest England for over 30 years now and have long ago ceased to worry about what others think. I respect their point of view, take from them what I find useful, hope that others might find useful things in my viewpoint, but generally do my own thing.

This is getting a long way from the OP but I hope it is of interest. On my recent outings I have encountered more cyclists than I have seen for years. One thing I have noticed is that the obviously non-regular cyclists are mostly happy and wave or say hello but the road type cyclists all appear to be on a mission, look grim and don't acknowledge the wave or nod as they steam by. Perhaps they are saving energy? Cycling makes me happy, mostly. Happiness expresses itself in many ways.

matticus

Guru
So we agree then. I wear what suits me. You wear what suits you. What the Wail and its ilk thinks is irrelevant, it has many minorities to demonise and when it gets bored with cyclists it will just supply something else from its menu to feed its readership of haters. Some people don't need encouragement from anyone to disrespect the vulnerable. It has been my observation that you just might reduce the incidence of unwelcome attention from this type of person by wearing "ordinary" clothes
That's not an observation - it's unfounded speculation.
(but I agree with the rest of that paragraph! )

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Who cares what the Daily Mail and their readership think of me? I couldn't care less what anyone thinks of me, and certainly not those brain donors, and the day I start modifying my behaviour to suit those that I neither know or care about is a long way off. If I want to wear lycra, a suit of armour, mankini or sequined ball gown while cycling then I ruddy well will, and screw anyone that doesn't like it.

Christ, that's the sort of mindset that has people buying cars they can't afford with money they don't have to impress people they don't know. I live my life to suit me and those I love and care about, and anyone that doesn't like that can go and fornicate themselves. It's just a shame the rest of the world doesn't have the stones to do the same.

Yep, Agree with all of you making claims about what you want to wear. Keeping up with others for whatever reason is a mugs game. I ride my bike in jeans with boots on and i tuck my jeans into the boots. Why? Because im comfortable. I will obviously wear more lighter clothes when i start going back out again as it's warmer.

I will wear Lycra if a manufacturer wants to start paying me to advertise though or sponsor me, any takers? 20 Stone 6ft 2 guy on a fat bike? Nope, Didn't think so... :sad:

screenman

Legendary Member
In my experience regular cyclists are familiar with coming across people on towpaths and either just ring their bell or speak to them politely.

Yes I feel most do, but I have still many many that are peanuts and care little for others, I put distance in my life away from those type of people luckily.

Point, what is a regular cyclist?

Drago

Legendary Member
I will wear Lycra if a manufacturer wants to start paying me to advertise though or sponsor me, any takers? 20 Stone 6ft 2 guy on a fat bike? Nope, Didn't think so... :sad:
Lurpak and Richmond are keen to sign you ;)

Point, what is a regular cyclist?

One who poops at the same time each day.

a.twiddler

Veteran
That's not an observation - it's unfounded speculation.
(but I agree with the rest of that paragraph! )
Nope. Not even speculation. It would be speculation if I suggested that it would work for everyone else. Just an observation from a sample of 1 observer. I might go out today and have umpteen people in vehicles scare the bejeesus out of me. That would amend my observation somewhat. I would then just be left with "wearing what I wear because it suits me".

matticus

Guru
Perhaps it's my scientific background, or my approach to precise language ... but we'll have to agree to disagree :smile:

JPBoothy

Veteran
I no longer like the Lycra look that I will admit to once wearing in rather loud team colours but, a good pair of lycra shorts does save a lot of chafing on a hot day or long ride. Has anybody ever tried those padded under shorts liner type things? I have even considered buying a pair of those 'cool' padded cargo shorts as I advance in my years but my skinny lower legs would look like a birds hanging from a nest :laugh:

a.twiddler

Veteran
I no longer like the Lycra look that I will admit to once wearing in rather loud team colours but, a good pair of lycra shorts does save a lot of chafing on a hot day or long ride. Has anybody ever tried those padded under shorts liner type things? I have even considered buying a pair of those 'cool' padded cargo shorts as I advance in my years but my skinny lower legs would look like a birds hanging from a nest :laugh:
Aah the dreaded chicken legs. Me too, but they do look a bit better once the sun's got at them. That is why I wear shades!

Top Bottom