1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Cyclists Masochists....

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by yenrod, 28 Mar 2008.

1. yenrod

yenrod Guest

Like ive many times gone beyond the point of the sensible on a cycle many a time but for some reason i keep on doing it: does this make me/us not right in the head :becool:

I recall once gettin way lost on the other side of a mountain literally 30+mls direct away from the house it was raining, had to go over 'tops as a local pointed out (it wont be easy was the last thing he said to me and boy was he correct)...the road itself was slippy as hell I was on the edge of normal energy levels.....then I had to make my way around said mountain to get back on the correct road,

Whats appealing about that...:biggrin:

I dont think I'm right in the head...

Anyone understand what I mean here...

2. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

i feel the need, the need for speed!

yep, absolutely sh!t myself coming down hills sometimes when i'm going so fast i know if i hit a pothole i'm a gonna.... but i still go back for more.

3. stevenb

stevenb New Member

err....no :becool:

4. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

i did on the last club run, nasty climbs with horizontal snow. as i commented to a clubmate, you know you're a Cyclist (with a cap c) if you ride in that by choice.

5. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Too much is made of the "masochism" of cycling. No more than any other sport/hobby...you are no tougher than anyone else...

6. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

i don't agree. i think cyclists are the toughest of the lot.

anyone else can pack up and go home when it gets too hard. we are, by then, at least 30 miles from home and have to cycle back :becool:

7. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

not only that, when you watch the TDF, they're at it for hours most days for 3 weeks.

footballers OTH are at it 90 mins a week, and most of that is standing about

8. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Nope. cycling is not necessarily "tough".

9. buggi

buggi Bird Saviour

i think Noodley's playing with us!

10. OP
    OP
    yenrod

yenrod Guest

Noodley have you ever snapped your axle (in the rush hour) but rode 15mls home on it..have ever snapped your bolts in your stem but rode it home holding it position have you Noodly ever snapped your frame after a chain gang but rode it home.. have you ever exhausted your supply of tubes..saught help but nothing could be sufficed so rode 25mls home on a flat only to have some kid lean out of a cars window, 1 ml from the house and point out that 'your tyres flat mate'..have you ever Noodley snapped some spokes soo badly the wheels crisped yet still rode it home ! ~ if you dont understand, you'll never 'get it'..

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

No I'm not. :becool:

What is so "masochistic" about cycling compared to other interests?

12. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

And Noodley, have you ever caught your balls on the handlebar stem? Or got your penis tangled in the chain while you were turning the cranks? Or had a spoke break and jam itself up your arse?

Obviously not, or you wouldn't make such ill informed comments.

13. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Er..no. I tend to not do these things....although I may think about it in future :becool:

14. Milo

Milo Veteran

I fell off once onto gravel and took more or less my palms off.
    That was horrid.
    GRR

15. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Two cyclings here: Noodley's which is correct. a means of transport; a leisure pastime; an obsessive hobby;
    or Yenrods'. Also correct. A racing sport, a balls-to-the-wall kill-or-die get to the sign first sport, an obsessive hobby.