Are Cyclists Masochists....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

got-to-get-fit

Smokin Joe said:
And Noodley, have you ever caught your balls on the handlebar stem? Or got your penis tangled in the chain while you were turning the cranks? Or had a spoke break and jam itself up your arse?

Obviously not, or you wouldn't make such ill informed comments.

:cry::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

If any of this stuff ever happened to me i think i would be giving cycling up and be trying something less hazardous .....like bullfighting.

How on earth do you get your penis caught in your chain:wacko:
Surely naked cycle maintenance is an ill advised activity;)

byegad

Legendary Member
I think some cyclists are! They half kill themselves to climb a hill (in way to high a gear) that bit faster than the other guy (usually me!) then forget to enjoy the view from the top.

Actually they are usually a lot faster than me to the top, so why do they work so hard when they know they'll have to wait for me at some point????

buddha

Veteran
On Thurdsay my tyre(s) momentarily got 'stuck' on a tram track (as they are designed to be exactly the same width as a 28mm tyre). Anyway I was, foolishly, going as some speed and inevitably came off.
My left shoulder took the brunt of the fall and dislodged two blocks of the kerb and a paving slab! The bike was fine and I only suffered a few scrapes and bruises to my leg, hip and arm. Although my new Gore Tool jacket has a few holes in it :cry:
More to the point, I am now addicted. So despite having a sore arm I still went for a ride on Friday and am about to go out now.

Rob S

yenrod said:
Noodley have you ever snapped your axle (in the rush hour) but rode 15mls home on it..

Pffft, that's nothing....I've knowingly ridden around on a broken axle for a week...and two of those rides were centuries!!:cry:

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

buddha said:
On Thurdsay my tyre(s) momentarily got 'stuck' on a tram track (as they are designed to be exactly the same width as a 28mm tyre). Anyway I was, foolishly, going as some speed and inevitably came off.
My left shoulder took the brunt of the fall and dislodged two blocks of the kerb and a paving slab! The bike was fine and I only suffered a few scrapes and bruises to my leg, hip and arm. Although my new Gore Tool jacket has a few holes in it :sad:
More to the point, I am now addicted. So despite having a sore arm I still went for a ride on Friday and am about to go out now.

Noodley, above is a fine example of a cyclist who hasnt took the back-seat in life. :cry:

Rob S said:
Pffft, that's nothing....I've knowingly ridden around on a broken axle for a week...and two of those rides were centuries!!:biggrin:

Obviously ROb - it was a campag axle :wacko:

Rob S

Well yes....but a broken Campag axle wears in, whilst a whole Shimano axle wears out!! :cry:

I should point out it was an old freewheel type hub.....never broken a freehub axle.

Mortiroloboy

buggi said:
i feel the need, the need for speed!

yep, absolutely sh!t myself coming down hills sometimes when i'm going so fast i know if i hit a pothole i'm a gonna.... but i still go back for more.

You'll be a bit more cautious when the Sott arrives

Noodley

It appears we have two camps:

Me, who manages to not break my bike and can actually avoid hazards, and I therefore can't see why cycling is masochistic.

Everyone else, who have bikes which fall to bits and who cannot appear to avoid obstacles and in some respects go out of their way to hit things - so yes, you lot probably are masochists ;)

col

Legendary Member
got-to-get-fit said:
;):ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

If any of this stuff ever happened to me i think i would be giving cycling up and be trying something less hazardous .....like bullfighting.

How on earth do you get your penis caught in your chain:wacko:
Surely naked cycle maintenance is an ill advised activity;)

Are we all not normally built with these proportions?:tongue:

davidwalton

Noodley said:
It appears we have two camps:

Me, who manages to not break my bike and can actually avoid hazards, and I therefore can't see why cycling is masochistic.

Everyone else, who have bikes which fall to bits and who cannot appear to avoid obstacles and in some respects go out of their way to hit things - so yes, you lot probably are masochists ;)

I prefer your camp Noodley. If it can't be avoided, then you put up with it only when you have to.

OP
OP
Y

yenrod

Rob S said:
Well yes....but a broken Campag axle wears in, whilst a whole Shimano axle wears out!! :smile:

I should point out it was an old freewheel type hub.....never broken a freehub axle.

Robert, finally you admit that Shimano has some 'ass' - Do you feel that you could have done the same considering a SHIMANO freehub design is supeiror to a Campag design - Ive seen them AND the bearings ARE further apart on the Shimano than Campy... :biggrin: - thus stronger!

Top Bottom