Are cyclists the scourge of the streets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
I laughed when i heard that guy saying "a plague of cyclists"
I mean what would happen for argument sake if every cyclist in London turned there backs on cycling and started using there cars or public transport, and the converted cycle paths turned back into car use. Pollution levels would sky rocket due to the extra vehicles, Public transport would be busting even more than it is now with the increase of passengers and parking would nay on impossible. Heath benefits would be lost.
On the more positive flip side if more people cycled all these problems would be reduced. This program only showed the extremes of bad cyclists and bad drivers The vast majority of both cyclist /driver are considerate, but this program was just feeding on the negatives, in a vein attempt to make it interesting. Traffic in city centres has reached saturation point and no new road layouts will ever solve it. The moaning motorists who refuse to accept this will just end up continuing to endure congestion and spiralling costs and become ever more bitter. A message to the car driver, If you can't beat them, join them. Ditch your car, lose weight, cut commuting time and congestion/pollution. Its a no brainer.

ozboz

Guru
The only scourge on the streets are the ones running around with knives and guns murdering people ,
I watched that programme , some of those collisions with cyclists were horrendous, there were some cyclists behaving badly , but the motorised riders are 5 times worse in London , especially the food delivery ones ,
These programmes are from the bottom of the barrel though , fairly predictable in every way but they did try to highlight problems on both sides of the debate
3/10 from me

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I laughed when i heard that guy saying "a plague of cyclists"
I mean what would happen for argument sake if every cyclist in London turned there backs on cycling and started using there cars or public transport, and the converted cycle paths turned back into car use. Pollution levels would sky rocket due to the extra vehicles, Public transport would be busting even more than it is now with the increase of passengers and parking would nay on impossible. Heath benefits would be lost.
On the more positive flip side if more people cycled all these problems would be reduced. This program only showed the extremes of bad cyclists and bad drivers The vast majority of both cyclist /driver are considerate, but this program was just feeding on the negatives, in a vein attempt to make it interesting. Traffic in city centres has reached saturation point and no new road layouts will ever solve it. The moaning motorists who refuse to accept this will just end up continuing to endure congestion and spiralling costs and become ever more bitter. A message to the car driver, If you can't beat them, join them. Ditch your car, lose weight, cut commuting time and congestion/pollution. Its a no brainer.
Heretic....

D

Deleted member 26715

I watched it & laughed out loud in multiple places,

winjim

Smash the cistern
This program only showed the extremes of bad cyclists and bad drivers The vast majority of both cyclist /driver are considerate, but this program was just feeding on the negatives, in a vein attempt to make it interesting.
I dunno. I think that given what we know about pollution, oil wealth, conflict and politics, as well as congestion and general road safety, there's a good argument for saying that all driving, or at least the vast majority of it, is by its very nature selfish and inconsiderate. That's all quite apart from drivers' actual behaviour on the roads.

Johnno260

Veteran
Well cyclists were referred as a plague of locusts, many of the clips were well known ones, like the guy riding on a pavement who hits someone changing a wheel.

They also had shown many of the ride out? clips were kids go out and pop wheelies and are generally being a pain.

It did state that 99% of all road collisions are motor vehicles though in all fairness.

I do agree with some points, adults riding on pavements is a no no, and jumping red lights for any road user.

The people on Box Hill who held up traffic I can see residents getting mad, if it was me I would pull over and let people past, things like that help and many drivers thank me when I do that on steep climbs, yes I lose some momentum but you don't have a disgruntled motorist potentially taking their frustration out on a fellow cyclist further on their journey.

Johnno260

Veteran
where I switched off totally was when they spoke with Mr Loophole, I can't stand that guy and getting people off motoring offences on technicalities is morally wrong.

the total muppet at the end who close passed a police cyclist, while using a mobile, oh my, then while the cop was talking to her she is still using her phone, and her young kid was in the car on the front seat with no child seat/booster.

D

Deleted member 26715

where I switched off totally was when they spoke with Mr Loophole, I can't stand that guy and getting people off motoring offences on technicalities is morally wrong.
The irony of him wanting more enforcement was laughable, it was a complete whoosh moment for him

snorri

Legendary Member
These programmes are from the bottom of the barrel though , fairly predictable in every way but they did try to highlight problems on both sides of the debate 3/10 from me
I wouldn't have wanted my parents to have discovered a 3/10 result in any of my school exams, sounds like a major Fail to me:sad:.

^_^

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
'Investigative documentaries' like this are knuckle-dragging, barrel-scraping. bear-baiting, Jeremy-Kyle-standard valueless crud which only serve to increase the divide, fired by blood-vessel-bursting reactionaries.

classic33

Leg End Member
Well cyclists were referred as a plague of locusts, many of the clips were well known ones, like the guy riding on a pavement who hits someone changing a wheel.

They also had shown many of the ride out? clips were kids go out and pop wheelies and are generally being a pain.

It did state that 99% of all road collisions are motor vehicles though in all fairness.

I do agree with some points, adults riding on pavements is a no no, and jumping red lights for any road user.

The people on Box Hill who held up traffic I can see residents getting mad,
if it was me I would pull over and let people past, things like that help and many drivers thank me when I do that on steep climbs, yes I lose some momentum but you don't have a disgruntled motorist potentially taking their frustration out on a fellow cyclist further on their journey.
Seemed happy enough when the Olympics made that area a well known place. Now, he's not so happy at going back to the area he once lived in.

Johnno260

Veteran
Seemed happy enough when the Olympics made that area a well known place. Now, he's not so happy at going back to the area he once lived in.

True I’m sure they loved the tourism it brought to the area, you can’t have it both ways for sure.

But a little more consideration to locals and other road users would be welcome, sure it was filmed from a negative point of view, but like I said I will pull over and allow faster road users past on steep climbs, it helps them have a more positive view, but also it means they won’t try and pass me dangerously.

classic33

Leg End Member
True I’m sure they loved the tourism it brought to the area, you can’t have it both ways for sure.

But a little more consideration to locals and other road users would be welcome, sure it was filmed from a negative point of view, but like I said I will pull over and allow faster road users past on steep climbs, it helps them have a more positive view, but also it means they won’t try and pass me dangerously.
He was just anti-cyclists though. Even pointing out the two coming downhill as "a problem".

I ride legal road vehicles and until people like him get that into their heads, there will always be this "Them & Us" attitude.

I'd be happy if he'd watch where he was going(Paying attention to the road ahead, and adapting his driving to suit), if he stopped turning to face a camera and most of all his VED was in date. Two years since it expired. Shouldn't, by law, be on the road.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom