Are days getting shorter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I know we're heading towards Spring, but...

Is the size of the Earth getting smaller due to tectonic plate movements, thus reducing the length of a day?

These things keep me awake at night. I need to sleep easy.

Regards,
Maz.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The moon is getting slowly further away from the earth and the day is getting longer.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Maz said:

Is the size of the Earth getting smaller due to tectonic plate movements, thus reducing the length of a day?

Regards,
Maz.

Well dude, actually NO.

I fully appreciate that this denier's response is about to be "peer reviewed".

on the road

Über Member
Maz said:

Regards,
Maz.
The mass of the Earth hasn't changed.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
on the road said:

That is as maybe, but perhaps the polar bears, huddling on their shrinking ice-floes have faintly altered the rotational velocity of the planet. This needs skip loads of expensive research. Bank account details will follow shortly.

Night Train

Maker of Things
on the road said:
The mass of the Earth has been increasing due to the continual bombardment of meteorites, mostly bits of nickle iron. However, humans have been attempting to redress the balance by sending up costly resources wrapped in gold.

The Earth isn't getting smaller, just slowly turning itself inside out, turning slower on its axis and drifting away from the Sun.

Even in terms of travel, the Earth isn't getting any smaller. Just more crowded and with cheaper flights and budget holidays.

And in terms of communications, it is still just as big but full of facebook, twitter and flickr.

The Earth isn't smaller, it is just turning to poo.

Night Train said:
The mass of the Earth has been increasing due to the continual bombardment of meteorites, mostly bits of nickle iron. However, humans have been attempting to redress the balance by sending up costly resources wrapped in gold.

The Earth isn't getting smaller, just slowly turning itself inside out, turning slower on its axis and drifting away from the Sun.

Even in terms of travel, the Earth isn't getting any smaller. Just more crowded and with cheaper flights and budget holidays.

And in terms of communications, it is still just as big but full of facebook, twitter and flickr.

The Earth isn't smaller, it is just turning to poo.

Could this be the new 'Block Age'? :smile:

Wouldn't it be nice to take a peek around the world - like spinning a toy globe. All the anger, pleasure, climate, experience and knowledge at the end of one's fingertips...'zooming in', like one of Pete's telescopes might do.

(It's OK - I'm on medicine :biggrin:)

wafflycat

No, Maz... the reason the days are getting shorter is that you are getting older and as we all know, the older you get the faster time passes. Downhill all the way now sweetie!

:smile:

wafflycat

on the road said:

Actually it does change - we get rained on by about 100kg of space dust & meteors every year (meteorite flux). Admittedly in relation to the actual mass of the earth it is a piddling amount - but hey, we all ignore the effects of that extra bar of choccie on our middles until it's too late... We're doomed I tell you, we're doomed! :smile:

Top Bottom