Are fixed gear frames more prone to failure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

calypsored525

Just got back after limping home on my bike - I thought during my journey that the right hand side crank had come loose but upon inspecting the bike at home the frame has split nearly 80% around the BB bracket.

After riding fixed you appreciate how quiet the journey is in some places and I was suprised when I heard a loud clunk which must have been when the frame cracked

Are steel frames more likely to fail when riding fixed - it is an old Elswick 80s frame but doesnt show any great signs of rust. I ask really because I have a lovely 70s 531 Carton frame spare which I might swap the parts over to. However this 531 frame looks a great deal more delicate than the beater frame thats just split so dont want to risk breaking it. I'm 15 stone and pretty powerful but am not riding an excessively high gear so dont do that much grinding up hills.

Not in my experience.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I dont see why there would be any extra force on the bottom bracket when riding fixed the cranks spin freely. If anything is going to be under extra stress riding fixed its going to be the rear hub/spokes.

OP
OP
C

calypsored525

On the flat you can spin but on hills where as on a geared I would drop to a lower gear and spin on the fixed I have to grind up - made me a stronger rider but I thought this might be where the additional strain came from - although admittedly the frame cracked while I was on flat terrain.

Radius

SHREDDER
Probably not, they're tested to be er....tested...the only reason they'd be more susceptible to failure is the often older frames that are used for fixed gear conversions / builds.

Christopher

Über Member
Not IME either but I have found that the powertrain wears out pretty fast and all the various bolts on the powertrain tend to loosen unless done up very tight.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think the clue is 1980's Elswick. You're talking of quarter centuary old steel, and if you look at how many 1980's cars are still around it ain't that many.

Elswick were not particularly noted for quality either.

PpPete

Legendary Member
And a 1970s 531 frame is pretty indestructible IME.
Several in my family stable, including my fixed.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
porkypete said:
And a 1970s 531 frame is pretty indestructible IME.
Several in my family stable, including my fixed.

Agreed my fixed is an early 80's frame getting a new lease of life and I have an older frame than as my next project

tyred

Legendary Member
I know someone who often rides bikes built as far back as the 1930s and some are fixed (original spec). None of them have ever broke and he has been known to take a 1931 racer out on club runs.

Top Bottom