Are fixies comfortable to cycle on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was descending at speed on 63" fixed on Wednesday, clocked 56km/hr. An online calculator gives me something over 180rpm cadence. I'm quite pleased with that.
:eek:

It is probably 'easier' doing a high cadence on fixed? On my (72") singlespeed bike on the flat I find it starts to 'get away from me' beyond about 100 rpm. If there is a slight uphill gradient, that provides enough resistance to pedal against but I'm not fit enough to do 34 km/hr up even a 1% slope for long!

D

Deleted member 1258

It's not irrational at all. But, on the other hand, everyone has to start somewhere. I'm sure there was a time when I didn't know what a fixed-wheel was, though that was long before trendy 'fixies' existed.

You're like me, when I first rode fixed, sometime in the 1980's, the term fixie hadn't been thought of and people riding fixed were rare.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I tried 165s for a while, years ago, but didn't really get on with them. I've only once grounded a pedal, fortunately with room to straighten up a little, so no drama.
I wouldn't regard a freewheel as an acceptable 'compromise'—it's a completely different thing.

ColinJ

You can't really use a fixed drive around tight and twisty roads at full chat. There is a real risk to bottoming a pedal, you cant stop the rotation for steep lean angles
I was riding the Manchester 100 sportive one year and got chatting to a rider who was doing it on fixed. I was impressed by how quickly he could corner without that problem!

You need a frame with at least a 10 3/4" BB height and 165mm cranks for a happy fixed life.
Maybe that was what he had?

Best compromise is a freewheel. Same fixed gearing with benefits:okay:
I struggle to ride my 72" singlespeed up hills > 10% because it is so damn hard to get the cranks over the top of the pedal stroke. On fixed, the chain would be helping them through the dead spots.

I wouldn't regard a freewheel as an acceptable 'compromise'—it's a completely different thing.
I have seen riders conquer 20% climbs on fixed - very impressive! I bet they would struggle a lot more with the same gear and a freewheel/freehub.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have seen riders conquer 20% climbs on fixed - very impressive! I bet they would struggle a lot more with the same gear and a freewheel/freehub.

I used to able to do that on 67". But now that my age matches that gearing...(which I still have on the other side).

The usual advice is to gear lower on a freewheel on the grounds that you don't have to pedal downhill.

ColinJ

The usual advice is to gear lower on a freewheel on the grounds that you don't have to pedal downhill.
I chose my 72" gear for riding along the valley bottoms round here; a nice gear for 25-30 km/hr. I found that I can get up moderate hills on it though anything more than a couple of hundred metres at 8-10% or any stretches at > 12-13% feels too hard for me. I just pedal to 35 km/hr downhill and then let gravity do its thing.

Top Bottom