Are fixies comfortable to cycle on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Does a fixie bugger up your knees easily (sorry just reading through the posts because I've just got a fixie)?
Errr hmmm did I tell you about my OA in my right knee :whistle:. Jokes aside I doubt it will knacker your knees. Get the gearing right though and enjoy. For me it really improved my spinning and improved my fitness as well hugely .

Sharky

Guru
More likely to damage your knees riding a high geared bike. With fixed or SS it may seem a high gear when ascending, but once over the hill, you cadence goes back to high very quickly. With gears, the chances are you would change up and keep the same low cadence for the whole duration of the ride.

silva

Über Member
It could be seen alike power training, it's a matter of keeping doing it - training. Knee problems tend to begin when having ceased awhile and restart.
Also, if it's cold, try to avoid having to push hard before warmed up.
Pants that reach to beyond knees (three quarter pants or how do they call it?) are a good trade off between ventilation and knee temperature management. And on fixies they avoid pants getting caught between chain and chainring, a potential disastrous event.

Top Bottom