Are French made cars fitted with indicators ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
A supplementary front light. A separate light rather than a dim dip system. Usually they're fairly sensible, but om some makes (Audi) they're so bright that they actually dim when them indicators are used to permit other drivers to see the indicators.

The human brain calculates the speed of an oncoming object by the rate at which the object increases in size in relation to the background. Break up that silhouette with over bright lights, such as super bright DRLs or the unnedessary use of dipped headlamps in normal day time conditions, and the observers brain is deprived of the essential datum required to make a proper speed calculation. The same applies to dilberts that ride bicycles in broad daylight with painfully bright front lights on - they're endangering themselves, not making themselves safer.

Honda discovered this in the eighties, and at the time Honda owned the worlds foremost searchlight manufacturer so had world class expertise in optics to call upon. Suzuki also researched this and reached the same conclusion. The UK's TRRL (as it was then) reviewed accident stats searching for examples with daytime headlamp use, and discovered a pro rata increase in the risk of T bone type collisions when driving in good conditions with conventional headlamps activated.

Last edited:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The human brain calculates the speed of an oncoming object by the rate at which the object increases in size in relation to the background. Break up that silhouette with over bright lights, such as super bright DRLs or the unnedessary use of dipped headlamps in normal day time conditions, and the observers brain is deprived of the essential datum required to make a proper speed calculation. The same applies to dilberts that ride bicycles in broad daylight with painfully bright front lights on - they're endangering themselves, not making themselves safer.
This in spades.

I stopped using motorcycle lights in clear daylight for that reason, and it never led to any increase in people emerging in front of me. The reverse, actually.

Modern indicators are rubbish.

1. 491742

My rant after following a newish Pug 106 last night as we approached the first island we came to it turned left without indicating ok fair enough give them the benefit of the doubt then sod me at a set of lights in town a Citroen c4 promptly pulled off and turned right again without indication :angry: .

Don't these drivers of French cars realise that us Nissan Note drivers like plenty of warning when they are turning , almost as bad as bl@@dy Volvo , Mercedes , Audi and Bmw drivers .

Rant over please continue ^_^
Have black cab drivers all changed over to French built cars?

Modern indicators are rubbish.

1. View attachment 491742
Trafficators, my brothers Anglia had them and they were so feeble that they barely opened out. They had a solenoid to actuate them I think.

Top Bottom