Are glasses always necessary when commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gbola

Just a personal observation, when commuting yesterday without wearing glasses, I was able to exchange eye contacts and smile with car drivers. In fact most of the drivers seemed very nice. I know cycling glasses/goggles have their use but could they be hampering that cyclist-driver interaction?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Good point, Gbola. I suspect that cycle glasses make one look a bit "hardcore" to motorists, and therefore a bit less friendly. Yes, I know there are very good reasons for wearing them.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm assuming you don't mean ordinary spectacles worn for sight correction.
In my locality it is quite normal to exchange a greeting of some sort with fellow cyclists, but I seldom initiate the procedure with people who wear funny specs, I just assume they want to maintain some sort of aloof anonymity, like the occupants of cars with tinted windows.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Absolutely essential. I'm as blind as a bat without them.

Norm

I wear glasses for protection every time I ride.

Mostly, at this time of year, they have clear lenses so they don't stop any of the interaction with other road users (cars, cyclists, walkers, equestrians etc). I doubt anyone notices that I wear them any more than I notice whether or not other people wear glasses.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Once again, the question he posted is valid and there is no need for your attack.
Now I will tell you once again if you don't like this thread then ignore.

Zoiders

Once again, the question he posted is valid and there is no need for your attack.
Now I will tell you once again if you don't like this thread then ignore.
Then be a brave boy and PM me

Don't make posts vanish.

If you bothered to check the OPs content...

Just like Norm has said minimal frames with clear lenses make no difference, the OP is just making stuff up to get a response - I am free to point that out, I am also free to point out the folly of a troll thread, as I am free to point out the knee jerk reaction of the moderator.

OP
OP
G

Gbola

S
commuting on boxing day? Troll +1
So you do not know some people work on boxing day.

S
So you do not know some people work on boxing day.

I know some do, but the odds grow longer and longer when you combine working on boxing day with car drivers smiling at a cyclists and seeming nice:eek:

Maybe I am being harsh it could be all the xmas spirit..... Just wait until the new year and they are commuting themselves rather than dashing to Tescos because the shops have been shut for a day:laugh:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
They are necessary for me, otherwise I wouldn't be able to see where I was going. The car drivers wouldn't be smiling after I crashed into them :laugh:

OP
OP
G

Gbola

Then be a brave boy and PM me

Don't make posts vanish.

If you bothered to check the OPs content...

Just like Norm has said minimal frames with clear lenses make no difference, the OP is just making stuff up to get a response - I am free to point that out, I am also free to point out the folly of a troll thread, as I am free to point out the knee jerk reaction of the moderator.
Your estimation of other human beings clearly shows the kind of person you are. I pity you

I always wear cycling glasses. One reason I need them as they have a prescription lenses clipped behind them. Also I got fed up of getting flys in my eyes when I used to wear my normal glasses.

It could be just your luck that when making eye contact with other road users that you get a fly in your eye.

Top Bottom