Are heart rate monitors any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

Been thinking of getting one when I get my turbo trainer, basically to try and make sure i'm the "the zone" when I'm sat in the garage.

Any do's or dont's? Worth it or not?

No. As so many post on here, the numbers turn out to be a bit meaningless so listen instead to your body.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I find them useful, particularly so when running rather than cycling, when I have a problem running at a low level of effort. (I go too fast)

RussellZero

Wannabe Stravati
They're interesting, I used one for a lot of last year while getting fit and training for my first tri - I think its good to be aware of your heart rate while idle/training/recovering, especially if you're not as young as you once were ;-)

karl61

i'm not so sure you can discount them, i was under the impression that you could train in a specific zone,(e.g weight loss) and not have to train with as much intensity as you may do without one. for my age, my zone for weight loss was 103-120,using a T T and H R M, once i was up there it was pretty easy(ish) to maintain.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I find them useful, particularly so when running rather than cycling, when I have a problem running at a low level of effort. (I go too fast)
Crikey! I wish I had your problem when I'm on the bike.

Berties

Fast and careful!
i wear mine on most rides,if worn correctly it seems to tell me what i want to know,max level etc it gives me levels to work to,
great for training on my turbo it is great ,a lot of programmes require hr readings,they get my vote

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I'm getting used to using mine - and am mentioned in one of the threads above. As per the advice I was given then, which was to get a VO2 max test, I'm having mine done tomorrow. Once I've got the max-HR worked out at least the base line will then be known.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Against somebody who said it was.

Keep wriggling :hello:

So...... what I gather from this thread is that the done thing having said something daft, is to start bringing up what OTHER people said in OTHER threads to sidetrack a new discussion in order to try and fill enough pages with back and forth, tit for tat bullshit in the hope that your initial ignorant comment gets lost and no-one will notice your inaccurate sweeping statement! Sounds like a plan!

TBH, I wish the OP had just used the search function or used Google, the amount of information both on the forum and on the internet in general regarding HR monitors is abundant!

Oldspice

Anyone ever slept with theres on. I did (reasearch honest) my heart beat was all over the place. I wonder what the heck do i do in my sleep:eek:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
i'm not so sure you can discount them, i was under the impression that you could train in a specific zone,(e.g weight loss) and not have to train with as much intensity as you may do without one. for my age, my zone for weight loss was 103-120,using a T T and H R M, once i was up there it was pretty easy(ish) to maintain.
Weightloss and fatburning zones are pretty much myth. I'm losing weight and fat typing this,you're doing the same reading it.

HRM's are useful if you know what the figures correlate to.

Top Bottom