are helmet cameras/bicycle cameras worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
After a motorcycle incident where I had a claim against me when not at fault, I bought one. Bit late after the fact of course but I'm considering similar for cycling.

3) no most if not all examples have sturdy mounts but they will be easily sacrificed in a spill (I feel you may be referencing Michael Schumacher)

4) not at all

5)totally

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have front & rear cameras - but mounted on the bike not on my helmet. I ride about 60 miles a week to work.

I got sick of close passes with no comeback/evidence. I got fed up with having to put up with dangerous driving without the ability to do anything about it.

I can now upload footage to the A&S Police website, they review it and usually either visit or write to the driver. Where a driver has been visited the officers have reported that they have vowed to change their driving for the better upon reviewing the footage. In 18 months about ten drivers have come to the attention of the police & been dealt with in this way.

This morning I quite politely & cheerfully asked a driver to clear his frosted windscreen, and have sent in the footage of him responding in a very aggressive way.

I started out with a SJCAM camera which wasn't all that expensive & did the job fine.

Johnsop99

Veteran
Living in beautiful North Cornwall I bought a cheap SJ4000 to record my rides round the area so that when I'm too old and decrepit to ride any more I can remind myself of some of the great rides I've had. I've also used some of the footage to "relive" a ride whilst on the turbo. The camera is mounted on the handlebar rather than the helmet. The local drivers are pretty good on the whole. The only problems arise in the summer when there's a lot of tourists around who don't know the local lanes and road conditions and drive as if though they are still in a city.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
YouTube already appears to be inundated with what seems to be holier-than-thou folk on bikes screaming, "I've got you on camera", when all they actually acheive IMO is making fools of themselves.
Those people are few and as @Drago has oft mentioned, screaming at motorists and inflaming the situation is unhelpful if you want the police to act on any offences in the video. Also, most police forces ask you not to upload the videos to social media until any criminal process has finished, so most of what you see uploaded to the boob tube is rubbish for some reason.

They are not a deterrent, if someone intends to pass close they will, a camera won't stop them.
Indeed, but it might mean that police act against the bad driver when they wouldn't otherwise. Also, I think there is a slight deterrent effect in some situations, as I'm pretty sure I've had a few drivers stop at red lights at crossroads when they wouldn't have otherwise because they saw the little red/blue lights - but you can't rely on that and it's a tiny tiny effect, not worth getting a camera for that reason alone.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I bought one a while ago and used it a lot for a bit. Now, it just stays in a drawer as I can't be bothered. Also, the battery only last 2 hours max, so it is very limited. Using your phone would not be very practical unless you strap it to your chest I guess and you will need to cycle with your chest upright.

i to to agree with @gavroche

i play mine back more for what wildlife i have spotted rather than bad driving

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I bought a GoPro Hero 5 Session and use it now and again on the bike, I'm not interested in trying to catch bad drivers.

YouTube already appears to be inundated with what seems to be holier-than-thou folk on bikes screaming, "I've got you on camera", when all they actually acheive IMO is making fools of themselves. Agreed, there are times when the footage has worked in favour of a claim or accident.

They are not a deterrent, if someone intends to pass close they will, a camera won't stop them.

I use mine occasionally for a bit of fun as a hyperlapse

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVGKS2hFkoY

Similar here, I have cameras which I use on bicycle, motorcycle, in car, in motorhome. It is purely for my amusement. It may be sad, but, it is my choice.

IMHO there only two questions which are relevant to your decision:

1. Can you afford one?
2. Do you want one?

If the answer to both is Yes, then go for it.

It may be relevant to seek other peoples experience of particular makes/models etc, but, not, IMHO, to make the should I / Shouldn't I decision.

Top Bottom